A Horse of a Different Color
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Rit® Color Perfect: Amethyst Purple, Passion Pink, Candy Apple Red, Astro Turf Green, Citrus Orange
- Rit® Color Perfect Color Stay Dye Fixative
- 7 ziplock bags
- Needle & thread
- Latex gloves
- Glass measuring cup
- Wood rocking horse
- Sponge brushes
- Wiggle eyes
- 3-1/4 yds pom-pom trim
- Optional: clear polyurethane, polyethylene, steel wool, 220 grit fine sandpaper, tack cloth
1. Clean and sand wood rocking horse and remove old yarn mane.
2. Mix 2 parts Rit® Color Perfect Amethyst Purple with 1 part Rit® Color Perfect Passion Pink in glass measuring cup. Apply mixture to wood horse with a sponge brush. Allow to dry overnight.
3. Lightly sand horse all over to show distressed areas. Apply wiggle eyes to horse with glue. Allow to dry.
4. Cut seven pieces of pom-pom trim to 16" lengths. Place in separate plastic ziplock bags. Add Rit® Color Perfect dye to each bag, zip closed, and squish up bags to distribute the dye.
5. Remove trim from bags, lay out and spray with Rit® Color Stay Dye Fixative. Allow to set for 20 minutes. Rinse out the dye and allow trim to air dry.
6. Stitch all seven pieces of dyed trim together to create horse's mane. Attach to horse with glue.
Optional: to seal dye-stained wood, apply 1-2 coats of clear Polyurethane with a new foam or bristle brush. Lightly rub with steel wool, or use 220 grit fine sandpaper, between coats and remove dust and filings with a tack cloth.