SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Simplicity® pattern 1702
- Fabric to pattern
- Fabric for butterfly pocket 1/4 yd of orange
- Fabric for butterfly pocket 1/4 yd of green
- 18 ft. of ribbon for trim
- 1/4 yd of stitch witchery
- Sewing machine
- Iron & ironing surface
- Basic sewing supplies
1. Cut 2 pieces of green 6"x6", 1 stitch witchery 6"x6". Press stitch witchery inside of the two green pieces to seal fabric together. Draw a butterfly, making two wings on top and longer wings for the bottom wings. Mark the center of butterfly.
2. Cut 2 pieces of orange and 1 stitchery witchery measuring 6"x2-1/4". Press stitch witchery inside of the 2 orange pieces to seal fabric together. Cut to circles for the top wings and two tear drop shapes for the bottom wings. Press on to wings.
3. Cut 1 piece of green 8"x7" to make inside pocket and shape it to look like a heart cutting off excess. Place butterfly right side up on to dress, measuring down 3" from waist near side seam. Place butterfly at a slight angle. Place center of heart shaped pocket on top of butterfly. Sew a rectangle starting at 1/2" down from the top heart shape to 1/2" short of the bottom of heart shaped pocket. Cut and turn and press pocket open.
4. Cut 1 piece of bias 1-1/4"x6" for antenna. Sew right sides together and turn. Knot both ends, fold in half and sew to top of butterfly.
5. Cut a bias stripe of 1/2"x26" for ruffle. Gather in the middle and sew to the opening of pocket. Sew the inside pocket closed by joining the heart shapes together.