American Superhero Costume
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 bottle Rit® Liquid Dye – Scarlet
- 1 bottle Rit® Liquid Dye – Royal Blue
- White 100% cotton T-shirt
- Large mason jar
- Latex gloves
- Rubber bands
- Squirt bottle
- White felt for the star
- Plastic table cover
- Mild detergent
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
1. If new, machine wash the T-shirt to remove any finishes. Wet the T-shirt before dyeing.
2. Add hot water (140ÂºF is best) to mason jar. Shake dye well. Pour entire bottle of Rit® Dye Royal Blue into the hot water. Test color by dipping in a piece of paper towel. To get a lighter blue, add more water.
3. Repeat step 2 to add the Rit® Scarlet dye to the squirt bottle, adjusting water and dye to get the red desired.
4. Pull fabric up from the center of the t-shirt and use rubber bands to clinch and wrap four sections moving down from the center. The 4 sections should be about 1" apart. There should be excess t-shirt after the banded sections.
5. Dip-dye both ends of the t-shirt in the Royal Blue dye (the center and excess).
6. On a covered surface, squirt the Scarlet dye precisely onto the two banded sections next to the now blue ones until saturated, only leaving the very center of the rolled t-shirt white. Let sit for 5 minutes.
7. Remove rubber bands and rinse in cool water until water runs clear.
8. Wash t-shirt in warm water with mild detergent. Rinse thoroughly in cool water. Hang to dry.
9. Cut a star shape out of felt and attach with a straight stitch. Topstitch the star on the center of the t-shirt.