Americana Sling Bag
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Home decor fabric: cotton, denim, etc.
- Cotton fabric for lining
- Belting for strap
- Scissors or rotary blade
- Cutting mat
- Basic sewing supplies
- Measuring tape or ruler
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
1. Cut 2 pieces of the cotton for the lining 16“ x 13“, allowing for 1/4“ seam allowance.
2. Using two separate, coordinating pieces of fabric, cut the pieces the desired length to match the dimensions of the lining (allowing the seam allowance for sewing the 2 pieces together, making one whole piece.) Do this for the front and back pieces of the bag, making 4 pieces total.
3. Piece the panels to make the front and back parts of the bag. Take the 2 pieces of coordinating fabric and place RIGHT sides together. Stitch together with 1/4“ seam allowance. Press the seams open and repeat the same process for the back piece of the bag.
4. Lining: Place the RIGHT sides together, pin and sew along the sides and bottom. (Leave a 3-3-1/2“ opening at the bottom of the lining. This will be for turning the bag right-side out.) Leave the top part of the lining open.
5. The main part of the bag: Place RIGHT sides together, pin and sew along the sides and bottom of the bag using a 1/4“ seam allowance. Do NOT stitch along the top of the bag.
6. Cut the belting. (Bag shown has a 42“ long strap.)
7. Sew each end of the belting to the side seams of the main bag (not the lining) using 1/4“ seam allowance. Be sure the strap is not twisted. That way the strap will lay flat when bag is being carried.
8. Turn the lining RIGHT sides in.
9. Sliding the main bag inside the lining, and with attached belting, place RIGHT sides of the bag and lining together. Be sure to stuff the belting/strap inside as well.
10. Line the tops of the Main Bag and lining together. Pin in place and sew around the top edge of both the main bag and lining, using a 3/4“ seam allowance.
11. Using the 3-4“ opening on the bottom of the lining, turn the bag right-side out.
12. Stitch the opening in the lining closed.
13. Press the bag.