Angel Foodcake with Meringue Swirls
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Wilton® food-crafting supplies
- Meringue Swirl Recipe
- Icing Colors: Rose, Golden Yellow and Leaf Green
- 12" Disposable Decorating Bags
- Decorating Tip: 1M (3 needed)
- Parchment Paper
- Performance Pans® 12"x18" Cookie Sheet
- 7" Angel Food Pan
- 14.5"x20" Cooling Grid
- Light Cocoa Candy Melts® Candy (12 oz. used)
- Food-safe scissors
- Favorite angel food recipe or mix
- Cake plate
- Make meringue swirls. Prepare meringue mixture following recipe directions. Divide into thirds and tint light rose, yellow and green. Use tip 1M, cut disposable decorating bags and tinted meringue to pipe 1" swirls on parchment paper-covered cookie sheet. You will need eight rose, six yellow and eight green. Bake meringues and allow to cool.
- Bake angel food cake. Prepare batter following recipe directions. Bake cake and allow to cool completely. Place on cake plate.
- Decorate angel food cake. Melt light cocoa Candy Melts candy in disposable decorating bag according to package directions. Cut small point off of disposable decorating bag and pipe melted light cocoa candy on top of cake, letting drip slightly down sides of cake. Allow to cool in refrigerator until set, about 15 to 20 minutes. Arrange meringue swirls on top of cake, and attach with a dot of melted light cocoa candy.
Project Tip: Give your meringue swirls some shimmer by spraying lightly with Wilton Pearl Color Mist® Food Color Spray before adding to cake.
- 1/4 cup Wilton® Meringue Powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Wilton Imitation Clear Vanilla Extract
Preheat oven to 250°F. Prepare cookie sheet with parchment paper.
In large bowl, whip meringue powder and water with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. With mixer running, gradually add sugar. Whip until stiff peaks. Add vanilla and whip until well combined, scraping down bottom and sides of bowl as necessary.
Spoon meringue into disposable decorating bag fitted with tip 1M. Pipe 1" dia. circles onto parchment-lined cookie pans, spacing 1" apart.
Bake 45-50 minutes or until outsides of meringues feel firm and crisp. Allow to cool completely. Peel cooled meringues off of parchment paper.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.