SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Babyville Boutique®:
- 1-1/3 yds Playful Friends Owls PUL fabric
- 1 yd. red FOE
- 1 red snap set
- Snap Pliers
- Tape Measure
- Hem Gauge
- Mark-B-Gone marking pen
- Styling Design Ruler
- Fray Check
- Pen or pencil
- Red & green thread
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
- Basic sewing supplies
RST = right sides together.
1. Cut PUL to 31-1/2" wide (half width of fabric) x 48" long. For older child, increase width and length as needed. Fold in half widthwise then fold again lengthwise to find the center of fold. Finger press along folds to crease.
2. With PUL still folded, mark and draw a quarter circle 2" from center point. Cut out neck circle and unfold PUL.
3. At center back of neck circle, cut a 3" slit down the back crease of smock.
4. If desired, cover back slit and circle edge with FOE. Seal FOE ends with Fray Check. Stitch with a 3-step zigzag.
5. Fold smock widthwise, RST. On each side, starting at the fold, mark down 6". At lower edge, mark in 7" from each corner. Using Styling Design Ruler or freehand, draw a curved line on each side, connecting the marks.
6. Pin and stitch directly on line. Trim seam to 1/4". Turn to right side. Press seam flat from fabric side only, using medium heat and steam.
7. Cut 7" piece of FOE for sleeve edge. To form circle, stitch raw ends together with 1/4" seam; round corners of seam. Fold FOE circle to divide and mark into quarters.
8. Divide and mark sleeve edge into quarters. Align marks on FOE and sleeve. Pin in place at marks only.
9. Place pinned FOE and sleeve in machine and take 1 or 2 stitches to secure. Stretch FOE to insert sleeve edge into fold of elastic. Hold firmly while stitching. With long straight stitch, secure FOE to sleeve edge. Repeat steps 8 & 9 for other sleeve.
10. Use seam gauge and fold up bottom edge 5/8" to wrong side. Press from fabric side. Stitch 1/2" from folded edge to secure.
11. Overlap edges of back slit 1/2". Attach snap set about 1" down from edge of neck circle.