SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 2 oz block Premo! Accents® polymer clay, 1 ea: Gold & Burnt Umber
- Super slicer
- Clay tool starter set
- Clay conditioning machine
- 20-gauge craft wire
- Flat-nose pliers
- Wire cutters
- Oven: Do not use a microwave oven
- Oven thermometer
- Oven-proof glass or metal baking sheet
- Scallop-edge papercrafting scissors: Optional
- Sculpey® clay mat, wax paper, disposable foil: Optional
Makes 4-5 acorns.
Getting Started: Polymer clay may stain. Clay may damage furniture or finished surfaces, Do not use polymer clay on unprotected surfaces. Work on the Sculpey® clay mat, wax paper, metal baking sheet or disposable foil. Start with clean hands & work surface. Knead clay until soft & smooth. Clean hands between colors. Shape clay, pressing pieces together firmly. Bake on oven-proof glass or metal surface at 275°F (130°C) for 30 minutes per 1/4" (6 mm) thickness. Use an oven thermometer. Do not exceed recommended temperature or baking time. Wash hands after use. Baking should be completed by an adult. Preheat oven to 275°F (130°C). Test temperature with oven thermometer for perfectly cured clay. Run all clay through Clay Conditioning Machine for several passes on the widest setting.
Fold clay in half after each pass & insert the fold side into the rollers first.
1. Marble 3/4" ball Gold & 1/2" ball of Burnt Umber clay together to make 1" marbled ball. Slice off one side to make flat edge. Place on baking sheet. Gently pinch top with fingers to form the acorn point.
2. Use Clay Conditioning Machine on #5 setting. Make 4" long Burnt Umber sheet. Using wavy blade or scallop scissors, cut four 1/4"-wide strips.
3. Press strip on acorn base, starting about halfway up, trimming edges where they meet. Overlap strips with layers to reach the bottom. Trim bottom edge.
4. Cut 4" length of wire. Use pliers to make spiral on one end. Bend wire tip 90º before inserting so it stays embedded after baking. Insert straight end into acorn top.
5. Bake following the directions.