Baby Blanket With Puffing Trim
- 60" flannel-backed satin:
1 1/3yd for back & puffing strips
1/2 yd for border
- 3/4 yd Soft & Comfy fabric
- 3/4 yd batting
- 1/2 yd muslin for puffing strips
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron, pressing surface
- Optional: basting thread, disappearing marker
1. Cut 34"x44" from backing fabric. Cut 22"x32" from Soft & Comfy fabric. Cut 32"x42" from batting. Cut two 44"x4" strips from puffing strips fabric for top & bottom. Cut two 76"x4" strips of puffing strips fabric for sides. Piece side pieces. From muslin, two 22"x4" strips for top bottom & two 38"x4" strips for sides. Piece sides.
1. Mark centers of each puffing strip. Sew basting stitches along long edges 3/8" from the edge.
2. Match center of gathered piece to center of corresponding muslin piece. Adjust gathers to fit puffing piece to muslin piece. Baste or pin together, keeping both sides even.
3. Sew gathered strip to muslin at 3/8". Set aside; repeat with other strips.
1. Lay backing wrong side up. Place batting on top; leave 1" margin on all sides. Baste or pin batting to backing.
2. Mark centers of middle piece on top, bottom & sides. Lay center piece, right side up, in center of batting. Leave 6" margin. Baste or pin to batting & backing.
3. With right sides together, match center top with center of 22" puffing strip. Pin to center piece and sew in place with 1/2" seam allowance. Fold puffing strip out; baste or pin to batting & backing. There will be 3" left to the edge. Repeat with bottom & sides, folding out & basting or pinning after each.
1. Match top center with center of 3" border. Sew with right sides together using 1/2" seam allowance. Option: draw a line with the disappearing marker at 1/2" on wrong side of border strip.
2. Fold border strip out. Baste or pin to batting & backing. There will be 1" left to the edge; no batting will be visible. Repeat with bottom & sides, folding out & basting or pinning after each.
1. Fold backing over 1/2" then fold again 1/2" over edge of border. Pin.
2. Slip stitch all around blanket. Remove basting stitches. Finished size is 32"x42".