Baby Penguin Backpack
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Shop All Nursery Fabric >
- 2 yds 45" penguin print
- 1 1/2 yds stripe print
- 1 1/2 yds aqua dot print
- 1/8 yd black dot print
- 36"x45" batting
- 1 alligator clip
- 1/8 yd black fabric
- 1/8 yd white fabric
- 1/8 yd HeatnBond® fusible web
- Scrap of yellow fabric
- Polyester stuffing
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron, pressing surface
DIRECTIONS: RS = Right side(s) WS = Wrong side(s)
1. Changing Mat: From stripe fabric cut: 36"x45". From penguin print cut: 36"x45". Layer batting, penguin RS up & stripe RS down. Stitch all edges, leaving an opening for turning. Turn, stitch opening. Quilt as desired.
2. Straps: From aqua dot print cut two 3"x35" strips. From black dot print cut two 1"x35" strips. Fold aqua dot print around black dot print, turning under cut edge so black dot shows in the middle; topstitch. Make 2. Cut to 31" & save a 4" piece.
3. Backpack Pocket: From penguin print cut two 14 1/2" x 16 1/2" pieces. On one, RS up, center & loop 4" strap section along top edge of the 14 1/2" side. Pin one end of each strap on each side of center loop. Pin remaining ends of straps 1" from the bottom on each side. Stitch straps in place. Lay other piece, RS down, on top, tucking straps inside. Pin. Stitch around sides, leaving an opening for turning. Turn & press.
4. Outside Pocket: From stripe cut one 21" x 12 1/2" piece. From aqua dot print cut one 21" x 12 1/2" piece. RS together, stitch sides, leaving an opening for turning. Turn & press. With dot side up, fold bottom up 6 1/2". Press. Stitch sides. Fold top down 5 1/2" & press. Fold flap back up & pin outside pocket 1" from the bottom; center to front of penguin backpack pocket. Stitch sides, bottom & a seam in middle of pocket up to the fold.
5. Penguin Fob Hanger: From black dot print cut a 6" x 1 1/2" strip. Fold in half lengthwise, stitch and turn to make a small tubular strip. Cut 4" of this strip and add alligator clip. Sew to inside of one pocket.
6. Place the penguin pocket section face down, centered, on one long side of penguin mat. Pin in place, avoiding straps. Stitch 3 sides to mat, leaving top open.
7. To fold up mat and make the backpack, place mat with pocket side on bottom. Overlap sides, fold in half & tuck into pocket.
8. For Penguin Fob: Trace & cut out pattern pieces. Iron HeatnBond® fusible web to a 4"x8" piece of white fabric. Place pattern pieces on fabrics indicated and cut out. Iron on white arms, belly and eyes. Iron on yellow mouth. Zigzag around pieces.
9. Sew arms with 1/4" seams, leaving ends open. Turn and press. Pin arms to body front. Pin the last 2" strip of black dot fabric to the head. Pin body back to front & stitch, leaving a small opening for turning. Turn, stuff lightly & stitch opening closed. Clip to bag.