Baby Shower Cupcakes
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/4 yd. of two cotton fabrics; such as gingham or polka dot for each cupcake
- 1 Small pkg. polyester batting
- 1 Pkg. pearlized straight pins
- 1 Pkg. craft foam mug plugs (makes four cupcakes)
- One 9"x12" felt sheet in color to match fabrics
- Craft knife
- Basic sewing supplies
- Iron and ironing surface
- Household measuring items (use to make 8" and 3-1/2" circles)
- Cut both craft foam mug plugs in half to create the bottom of the cupcakes.
- Cut the gingham check fabric 5"x9-1/2" to cover the bottom of cupcakes. Place the gingham on ironing board and press. Fold down top of fabric wrong sides together approx. 2". Press again. Fold over 1/4" on one end and press.
- Refer to photo often.
- Line folded edge of fabric to top of mug plug and wrap around starting with the unfolded edge. Overlap the fabric using the folded edge to conceal the raw edge seam. Sew a side seam and secure stitches. With the excess fabric along the bottom edge, wrap around bottom of mug plug and overlap the fabric and secure with stitches for a neat bottom edge. Cut a piece of felt to cover bottom and sew in place.
- To make the cupcake portion, cut an 8" circle from contrasting fabric. Sew a 1/4" running stitch (1/4" from the edge) and gather loosely as you sew all the way around. Leave a 2" opening and firmly stuff the circle with batting. Pull gathers for an approx. 1" opening and secure stitches. Distribute gathers evenly.
- Center top of cupcake to bottom. Sew both pieces together using small stitches. Refer to photo.
- To embellish the top, cut two 3-1/2" circles from contrasting fabrics. Use 1 circle to create a Yo-Yo -- sew a running stitch close to the edge and gather as you sew. Press yo-yo flat. Create the top embellishment of the cupcake by using the other circle and repeat the running stitch gathering as you go. Stuff this with batting to create a small ball. Secure stitches.
- Attach small ball to center of yo-yo using the pearlized straight pins. Pin to the center of cupcake.