Banded Lentils Necklace
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Sculpey® III:Tranquility - 2 oz., 1 blockGentle Plum - 2 oz., 1 blockJewelry Gold - 2 oz., 1 blockBallerina - 2 oz., 1 block
- Sculpey®:Clay Conditioning MachineClay Tool Starter SetSuper Slicer
- Beading wire & crimps
- Accent beads of choice
Do not use unbaked clay on unprotected furniture or finished surfaces. Start with clean hands and work surface area. Good work surfaces include wax paper, metal baking sheet, or disposable foil. Knead clay until soft and smooth. Bake on oven-proof metal surface at 275° F for 30 minutes per 1/4' thickness. For best baking results, use an oven thermometer. Do not use microwave oven. Do not exceed the above temperature or recommended baking time. Wash hands after use. Baking should be completed by an adult.
1. Using the Clay Conditioning Machine, roll out about 1/8 package of Gentle Plum, Jewelry Gold and Ballerina into sheets about 2'x2' on a medium thickness setting. Stack these colors, Jewelry Gold in the center, and roll through the Clay Conditioning Machine on the widest setting. Cut this sheet in half. Roll out a thin sheet of Tranquility. Create a stack of the two halves with the Tranquility sheet sandwiched in the middle.
2. Hand-roll 5 equal sized balls of Tranquility, approximately 3/4' diameter. Roll 8 more balls slightly smaller, a little more than 1/2' diameter.
3. Use the Super Slicer to cut thin slices off one side of the striped slab. Wrap a single slice around the circumference of each ball. Position the strip on the upper portion of the ball so when it’s flattened, it won’t be perfectly in the center. Trim the ends to just meet.
4. Gently press the stripe onto the balls and roll until smooth. Gently hand-flatten the balls into a pancake shape.
5. Using the needle tool, pierce each bead side to side. Bake according to the above instructions and allow to cool.
6. String with accent beads as desired. A length longer than 25' can be finished as a continuous loop. For a shorter length, add a clasp. Finish with crimp beads.