Baseball Card Holder & Bat Pen
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 pkg each Sculpey III oven-bake clay:
- White, Red Hot Red, French Blue, Gold
- Studio by Sculpey:
- Acrylic Roller
- Clay Tool Variety Set
- Bic white stick ink pen
- Good working surfaces include a glass or metal surface, disposable foil or wax paper.
- Preheat oven to 275 F. Test temperature with oven thermometer for perfectly cured clay.
- Use Clay Tool Variety Set knife tool to cut White & French Blue bars in half. Condition clay by kneading it for a few minutes, each half separately. Shape French Blue pieces into thick pancakes; flatten slightly with Acrylic Roller. Shape White pieces into domes.
- Condition & roll small amount of Red Hot Red into long, skinny rope. Press rope to each White dome in 2 curved lines to create baseball lacing; use knife tool to trim excess. Press domes to pancakes.
- To make the card holder, push 3 baseball cards straight into the dome to create grooves; remove cards. For pen holder, push pen into dome at angle to make hole; remove pen. Use pliers to gently remove ink stick from pen; grasp tip & pull straight out.
- Condition Gold clay. Roll entire package into long, skinny, tapered rope. Spiral wrap clay around ink pen barrel, placing skinny end of rope near writing end of pen. Leave space between clay spirals. Finish wrapping with thick end of rope near closed end of pen.
- Gently roll pen on work surface until clay is smooth & gaps closed. Use knife tool to trim excess clay from writing end of pen. Use fingers to gently shape clay around closed end of pen so it resembles a bat. Roll scraps into a small, skinny log and wrap around pen just above writing end so it resembles a bat handle; trim excess.
- Bake on an oven-proof glass or metal surface at 275 F for 30 minutes. Do not microwave. Do not over-bake. Allow to cool completely. Replace ink stick in pen. Insert cards and pen in holders.