Basket Block Quilt
- 1/4 yd each, quilting fabrics for blocks: A, B, C, D, E
- 1 1/4 yd quilting fabric F for background
- 3/4 yd quilting fabric G for background
- 1 yd quilting fabric: setting triangles & corner blocks
- 4 yds backing fabric
- 3/4 yd binding fabric
- 68" square batting
- Basic sewing & quilting supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron, pressing surface
DIRECTIONS: 1/4" seam allowance. WOF = Width of Fabric. RS = Right side(s), WS = Wrong side(s).
|5 7/8 sq.||-||-||-||-||-||5||2|
Binding fabric: Six 2 1/2"xWOF strips. Stitch short ends together. Press, with WS together & long edges even. Set aside.
Setting triangle/corner block fabric: Cut two 18 7/8" squares. Cut in half diagonally 2 times to form 8 setting triangles. Cut two 9 3/4" squares. Cut in half diagonally to form 4 corner triangles.
BASKET BLOCK: Make 13 total; 9 with Fabric F and 4 with Fabric G.
1. With RS together, stitch 1 large (F/G) triangle & 1 large (A/B/C/D/E) triangle together along long edge. Press seam allowance toward (A/B/C/D/E) to form center square.
2. With RS together stitch a small (F/G) triangle and a small (A/B/C/D/E) triangle together along long edge. Press seam allowance towards (A/B/C/D/E) fabric. Make 6 half-square triangles.
3. Stitch together 3 half-square triangles.
4. Stitch the unit to the center square. Press seam allowance toward the center square. Stitch together the remaining 3 half-square triangles. Stitch the 3" (F/G) square to the end of a unit. Stitch longer unit to the other side of the center square.
5. Stitch the remaining 3 3/8" coordinating triangles to the ends of the (F/G) rectangles.
6. Stitch rectangle units to larger pieced unit.
7. Stitch medium background triangle to pieced unit.