Basketball Player Puppets
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
FOR TWO PUPPETS:
- Fleece: 1/2 yd tan, 1/2 yd brown, 1/4 yd green, 1/4 yd blue, 1/4 yd orange
- 12"x9" Felt remnants: yellow, orange & light blue
- 5"x5" Felt remnants: ivory & brown,
- 1 skein coffee Lion Brand Jiffy yarn
- 1 skein black Lion Brand Jiffy yarn
- Embroidery floss: ivory, brown, black
- Hand embroidery needle
- Polyester stuffing, 1 small bag
- Velcro hook and loop fastener
- Scissors or rotary cutter and mat
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron and ironing surface
- Press cloth
**All seam allowances are 1/4" (unless otherwise noted)**
**Seam allowances are included in pattern.**
FOR PUPPET BODY AND FACE:
- Refer to PDF for pattern pieces.
- Using FRONT/BACK PUPPET BODY pattern, trace and cut out two pieces of tan or brown fleece.
- Transfer markings from FRONT/ BACK PUPPET BODY onto backside of one fleece body piece (this will be your front body piece). Set fleece puppet body aside.
- Using EYE A pattern, trace and cut 2 pieces of ivory felt.
- Using EYE B pattern, trace and cut 2 pieces of brown felt.
- Pin ivory felt pieces to right side of puppet face at markings. Using ivory embroidery floss and embroidery needle, stitch ivory felt pieces to fleece using a whipstitch along edge.
- Pin brown felt pieces on top of ivory felt pieces. Using brown embroidery floss and embroidery needle, stitch brown felt pieces using a whipstitch along edge.
- Using black embroidery floss and needle, stitch mouth onto face at markings using a split stitch.
- For headband, cut a 4"x3/8" piece of light blue felt. Lay felt piece across top of head (on the right side) from dot to dot. Pin in place.
- For hair, cut 12-16 pieces of yarn 3-1/2" long. Fold yarn in half and lay along top of head with raw edges even.
- Place back puppet body piece on top of front body piece with right sides together. Pin in place. Stitch 1/4" seam allowance. Leave bottom edge open. Clip curves. Turn right side out.
- Stuff head and hands with polyester stuffing.
- Repeat steps 1-11 for second puppet.
- Using FRONT/BACK SHIRT pattern, trace and cut out two pieces of blue or green fleece.
- Using STAR pattern, trace and cut out 1 piece of yellow or orange felt.
- Pin star to center front of shirt. Stitch in place using a zig-zag stitch along edge.
- Finish neck, armhole and bottom edges of front and back shirt using a zig-zag stitch.
- With right sides together, pin shirt front to shirt back at shoulder and side seams.
- Stitch 1/4" seam allowance. Turn right side out. Press using a press cloth and set aside.
- Using FRONT/BACK SHORTS pattern, trace and cut out two pieces of yellow or orange felt.
- For stripes on shorts, cut two 4"x3/8" pieces of light blue felt.
- Pin stripes on front of shorts 1/4" away from side edge of pants. Stitch in place using a zig-zag stitch.
- On front short only, topstitch from top of "V" notch to center of top edge.
- With right sides together, pin front short to back short at side seams. Stitch 1/4" seam allowance.
- Turn shorts right side out. Finish top edge and bottom edge of shorts with zig-zag stitch. Iron using a press cloth.
- Hand tack bottom of shirt to top of shorts at side seams with a 5/8" overlap. Slip shirt and shorts over head of puppet and pull arms through.
- Sew Velcrohook and loop fastener onto front of puppet hands.
- Repeat steps 1 -- 14 for second puppet.
- Cut two 4"x3/8" pieces of light blue felt. Fold each piece in half and stitch 1/4" seam allowance. Turn band
- right side out and slip over puppets hands onto wrist. Tack if necessary.
- Repeat for second puppet.
- Using BASKETBALL pattern, trace and cut 4 pieces of orange fleece.
- With right sides together pin basketball pieces together. Stitch from dot to dot with 1/4" seam allowance leaving the last seam with a 11/2" opening.
- Turn fleece right side out. Stuff with polyester stuffing.
- Pin opening and whipstitch closed.
- Cut 1/4" wide Velcrohook and loop fastener strips and place over seams. Stitch in place.