SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
FOR ONE PILLOWCASE:
- Calico fabrics of choice:
- 1 yd. for base
- 2-3/4 yds. (Fabric A) for short strips
- 2-1/4 yds. (Fabric B) for long strips
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Cut base calico fabric pieces, one 40"x28" and another 6"x40".
- To make strips, cut calico fabrics widthwise: Fabric A - twenty-four 4"x28" strips, Fabric B - eighteen 4"x44" strips.
- To make tubes for weaving, sew a 1/4" seam lengthwise with right sides together along each strip. Turn and press.
- Lay base fabric face up on work surface. Lay short strips (Fabric A) across 40" width of base fabric. Pin strips down to base along one edge and baste in place.
- Weave long strips (Fabric B) over and under short strips. Adjust strips to keep rows neat. Pin loose edges and baste securing all ends.
- Fold woven fabric in half with right sides together, stitch long side and short side to make pillowcase shape. Finish seams as desired.
- To form facing: Stitch short ends of 6"x 40" rectangle together to form loop. With right sides together, stitch facing to woven section. Turn to inside and stitch in place.