Batik Lamp Shade
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Instructions for 9-1/2" drum shade
- 1 jelly roll (18 designated for the shade and 2 for the flower)
- Rotary cutter with pinking blade, ruler and mat; or, pinking shears
- Basic sewing supplies
1. Select the two strips to create the flower. “Pink" one long edge of each strip.
2. Trim width of one strip to 1-1/2", the other strip will measure 2-1/2" wide.
3. Lay the narrow strip on top of the wide strip with RS facing you. Align the “unpinked" edges.
4. Using needle and thread use a running strip along the “unpinked" edges to gather the flower into a circle. Trim the last 4" off or the flower will not lay flat.
5. Secure edges of flower together with thread. Set flower aside.
1. Using sharp scissors, cut a 3/4" slit in both ends of each of the remaining 18 strips.
2. Joining two strips together. Insert the end A of one strip into the slot of another strip. Then thread end B through the slit of end A and pull tightly so the joint is smooth and taut.
3. Tie these two strips to one of the inside wire supports of the lampshade and begin wrapping the shade. To wrap the shade always have the RS facing out and overlap each wrap by at least 1/2". Use the first few wraps to hide the tail of the strip that is tied to the wire. Continue to join strips as you wrap the shade.
4. Wrap the entire shade. Tie off end and weave tail under wraps on inside of shade.
5. Secure Flower to shade using glue. Add decorative buttons to the center to hide raw edges of the flower.