SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- One 5-pc fat quarter pack
- 6 strips from jelly roll
- Rotary cutter with pinking blade, regular blade, ruler and mat.
- Decorative threads
- Sewing Machine
- Basic sewing supplies
- 18" pillow form
- 16" zipper
- Iron and pressing surface
Note: 1/4" seam allowance throughout
1. Select 2 fat quarters from the pack that have different values such as a light and dark or medium and dark. Trim fat quarters to measure 16"x18-1/2".
2. Stack one on top of the other and cut 5-1/2" off one 16" edge.
3. Sew the light to the dark on both pieces. The two pieces should now measure approximately 16"x18". Press seam towards the dark fabric.
4. With RS together sew in zipper on 18" side with narrow strip. Following directions on zipper package.
5. From one of the unused fat quarters; cut 2 strips that are 3/4"x20". With the iron, turn under 1/4" of each edge to make the stems. Cut into two 9" strips and one 11" strip.
6. Pin the stems in place working with the side that has the dark narrow strip (this will become the ground of the pillow). The bottom of the stems should be about 1" from the zipper.
7. Stich stem in place using a very narrow zigzag; being careful to remove pins while sewing.
1. Select the two strips from jelly roll to create the flower. “Pink" one long edge of each strip.
2. Trim width of one strip to 1-1/2", the other strip will measure 2-1/2" wide.
3. Lay the narrow strip on top of the wide strip with RS up. Align the “unpinked" edges.
4. Using needle and thread use a running strip along the “unpinked" edges to gather the flower into a circle. Trim the last 4" off or the flower will not lay flat.
5. Secure edges of flower together with thread. Set flower aside.
6. Make two additional flowers in the same way trimming an additional 1/2" to make them smaller.
7. Place all three flowers on pillow and tack in place by hand.
8. Glue or sew buttons in centers of each pillow.
9. Open zipper.
10. With RS together sew remaining edges of pillow together using a 1/4" seam allowance. Trim corners. Turn. Press. Pillow will now measure approximately 15-1/2"x17-1/2".
11. Insert 18" pillow form. This will fill all corners well. No custom size insert required.