Beach Towel Checkerboard
- Large bath towel or bath sheet
- 7/8 yd cotton print fabric
- 2/3 yd HeatnBond® iron-on adhesive
- Wood discs, 24 each: 1 1/2", 1 1/8"
- Acrylic paint: red, pink, blue, yellow
- Tacky glue
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron, pressing surface
DIRECTIONS: RS = Right side(s)
1. Cut a 2"x22" strip of print fabric. Iron on HeatnBond® iron-on adhesive. Cut thirty-two 2 1/2" squares.
2. Working from the center of the towel, mark an 8x8 grid of 2 1/2" squares.
3. Iron the 32 fabric squares on the grid, alternating spaces. Zigzag stitch all edges to form checkerboard grid.
4. Cut two 2 1/2"x45" strips of fabric for straps & one 2 1/2"x20" strip for the handle. Fold strips in half and press. Fold raw edges to inside, press & stitch long edges.
5. To make the pocket, cut one 9"x38" piece of fabric. Fold in half, 9"x19", RS together. Stitch edges, leaving an opening for turning. Turn & press. Fold bottom up 8" & top down 1". Stitch sides of pocket.
6. Measure and mark 7 1/2" from edge of one short side of towel. Place the center of the pocket top at the mark. Pin handle between pocket & towel. Stitch across top of pocket. Turn under & stitch ends of ties. Fold in half. Place one fold on the edge at one side of pocket & the other fold at the other edge. Stitch in place.
7. Paint 12 large wood discs yellow and 12 blue. Paint 12 smaller discs red and 12 pink. Allow to dry.
8. Glue pink discs to blue and red discs to yellow. Allow to dry.
9. Place markers in pocket. Fold towel in half lengthwise, roll up from the end and tie straps around.