Beaded Lapel Pin
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1-ft ribbon with fibers
- 26-gauge copper wire
- Beader's Paradise topaz bead mix
- Jewelry Fundamentals brown bead mix
- 1 large Blue Moon round glass bead
- Pin back
- Crimp beads
- Needle & thread
- Green felt scrap
- Scissors & pinking shears
- Tacky glue
- Wire cutters
- Flat jewelry pliers
- To create a flower shape gather the ribbon along 1 edge with a running stitch. Fold ends toward the center of the flower; secure with thread. Tie off.
- Cut a small circle from green felt, slightly larger than the large round bead. Glue the bead to the felt. Allow glue to dry. Stitch a row of beads around and close to the large bead. Run the needle and thread through the beads a 2nd time to align, then through the holes in the sides of the large bead. Trim the felt close to the ring of beads; do not cut the thread.
- With a new piece of thread, make 5 bead petals (12 beads each) around the edge of the felt that holds the large round bead. Set aside.
- Using fingers and wire, create a flower of rounded petals. As each petal is formed, slip on a crimp bead, a glass bead and a 2nd crimp bead at the outer edge of each petal. Continue to form petals,to complete a round flower. Wrap wire around the center of this flower to secure. Set aside.
- Create a larger wire flower, approximately the size as the ribbon flower; secure center with wire. Cut a 2nd green felt circle and place it on the back of the ribbon flower. Lay the large wire flower on the ribbon. Secure with thread, sewing through all layers of felt, ribbon and wire. Lay the smaller beaded flower on top and secure with thread. Lay the large beaded flower on top. Secure by stitching through the large bead hole. Secure thread on back of the pin.
- Cut out 3rd felt circle with pinking shears. Stitch pin back to this circle and glue it to the back of the ribbon flower.