Beaded Owl Ornament
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Ivory crystal top-drilled teardrops
- Beige crystal top-drilled teardrops
- Brown glass leaf bead for beak
- Black crystal connectors for eyes
- Brown wood round beads for ears
- Metallic brown 10/0 seed beads
- Real feathers
- Beading needle
- Light brown felt
- Hand sewing needle
- Light brown thread
- Dark brown thread
- Fishing line
- Soft polyester stuffing
- Gold 26-gauge wire
1. Cut two oval shapes out of felt, giving a 1/2" seam allowance on all sides. Oval should be 4"x5" tall, for a finished owl that is 3-1/2" wide x 4-1/2" tall.
2. On one oval, begin to sew on rows of crystal teardrops starting at the bottom, alternating ivory and beige rows, until filling the bottom two-thirds of the oval.
3. On the other oval, sew on brown metallic seed beads in a “V” pattern: Thread needle with brown thread. Bring needle up through the backside of the felt and string on 10 seed beads. Go back through the ninth seed bead and continue to string 8 more. Go back down through the felt and come up 1/8" to the left of it, to create each V-shaped “feather”. Fill the entire piece of felt (except the seam allowance) with rows of these V’s, so that they are overlapping one another.
4. On the front of the owl, starting about one-third of the way down, stitch ivory and beige top-drilled teardrops and in alternating rows, completely filling the bottom two-thirds of the owl.
5. Create an eye by cutting a piece of 26-gauge wire to a length of 6". String on 13 ivory teardrops, and twist the beginning and end of the wire together to form a circle of beads. Trim and hide the ends inside the circle. Taking a black crystal connector, snip off the loops and hot-glue the connector to the center of the ivory teardrop circle. Repeat for other eye.
6. Form ears as shown with wood beads and small pieces of wire sewn into the felt itself.
7. Place the nose/beak by sewing on a single brown leaf-shaped bead.
8. Before gluing the eyes in place, create more “V” pattern seed bead feathers over the entire head, leaving only holes where the eyes will go. Hot glue on the eyes.
9. Laying the two pieces of felt with wrong sides together, carefully whip-stitch the edges together with matching thread, all except about 2" worth. Before closing this, fill the inside with polyester stuffing.
10. Create wings by cutting two pieces of gold wire about a yard long. Position the wire so one wire has 5" on one side of the crossing point and 31" on the other side of the crossing point. Position the second wire exactly opposite – 31" on one side and 5" on the other creating a “short side” and “long side”. On the long side wire, string about 10 seed beads. Bend the wire at the end of these beads so the beads are at a right angle to the wire. Wrap the wire once around each other.
11. String more beads onto the opposite wire. Form them up the contours of the other beads already strung. Wrap the wire there once, and switch wires. Continue adding beads and wrapping the long wire once at the end of each row. Add more beads each time, increasing the size of the wing with each row added. Once the wing has about 8 rows, twist off the wire ends and trim. Sew the wings in place, hiding the sewing underneath a “V” shaped feather.
12. Sew on a gold ribbon for hanging.
Customers Who Viewed this Product, Also Viewed these Products