Beaded T-Shirt Necklace
Supplies & Tools:
- 2 T-shirts
- Fabric dye
- Seed beads
- 1 spool nylon-coated flexible wire
- 24-gauge wire
- Wire cutter
- Crimp beads
- Crimp tool
- 3/4"-wide ribbon
- Hot glue gun, glue sticks
- Scissors or rotary cutter and mat
1. Dye T-shirts. Allow to dry.
2. Cut off bottom hem from T-shirt.
3. Cut several 3/4" to 1" strips across shirt. Cut tubular strips into two even pieces.
4. Repeat for remaining T-shirt.
5. Take one strip and pull gently, so strip folds on itself, creating a tube. Repeat for all strips.
6. Set four strips aside.
7. Group remaining strips together with ends even. Lay out in a U-shape like a necklace. Trim edges even.
8. Cut 6" wire. Tightly wrap around grouped ends of strips 1 1/2" away from raw edge. Repeat for opposite side.
9. Cut 20" of wire. Attach 1 end to the wrapped wire on strips with a crimp bead. String beads. Attach opposite end of beaded strand to wrapped wire at other end. It may be necessary to wrap an additional wire through the loop on the beaded strand to secure T-shirt strips.
10. Add 1 or 2 beaded strands in varying lengths.
11. Holding two of the remaining strips together, attach one end to the wrapped wire section of the grouped strips. Wrap another piece of wire around tightly to secure. Repeat for remaining two strips on opposite side.
12. Cut 7" of ribbon. Put a dab of glue on wires at backside of necklace. Attach one end of ribbon. Tightly wrap ribbon around wire. Secure end with glue. Trim excess. Repeat for opposite side.