Birch Tree Shadow Box
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Provided templates
- FloraCraft® Foam, 1 sheet each: 1"x12"x36" & 1/2"x12"x36"
- Make It: Fun® Styro Cutter Plus®
- Black poster board
- Acrylic Paint: White, brown & black
- 1" mirror Tiles
- Low-temp glue gun & glue sticks
- Paintbrushes: flat & detail
- Straight pins
1. Print templates to 100%. Cut out with scissors. Pin templates to the 1/2" foam sheet. Follow the package instructions to cut templates from the foam sheet with the StyroCutter Plus. Hold blade at 90 degree angle to the foam for a straight edge.
2. Paint foam birch tree cutouts white. Allow to dry. Use detail brush to paint black spots in the bark here and there on each tree as shown. Highlight each black spot with a little brown for depth. Use the detail brush to create the lines in the bark. Paint the black lines first. Highlight the black lines with the brown. Allow to dry.
3. Cut a 12" square from the end of the 1" sheet. Cut two 12"x3" and two 14"x3" pieces from the remaining sheet. Cut pieces square and true to size or frame pieces will not fit together well around the 12" square.
4. Cut a 12" square piece of poster board. Glue it to the 12" foam sheet. Cut two 14"x7" pieces of poster board. Fold 14" paper piece over the 14" foam to cover the two 3" sides and front 1" edge. Leave back 1" edge of the frame bare. Cut two 12"x7" pieces of poster board. Cover 12" foam pieces in the same way. Use glue gun to adhere paper to the foam.
5. Hold the frame pieces against the 12" square to be sure they all line up correctly. Make adjustments as needed. Glue the two 12" frame pieces, 1 along the bottom of the 12" square and 1 along the top. Glue the 2 side pieces in place.
6. Cut four 2"x3" pieces of poster board. Fold each piece in half lengthwise. Glue a folded paper piece to each corner.
7. Glue a glass mirror tile to each front corner of the frame.