DIY Father’s Day Perler Bead Coasters
Father’s Day is just around the corner and good dads deserve to be celebrated. If your Dad is anything like my Dad, he would much rather stay home and relax, than go out to celebrate. Since my Dad likes to lounge around and sip his favorite cocktail, I created this fun DIY Father’s Day Coasters made from Perler beads as a gift for him this year. They are super easy to make and they are the gift that keeps on giving all year long. Hi everyone! I’m Vanessa Diaz of Brite & Bubbly and today I’m going to show you the not so quick, but easy way to make these colorful and easy Perler bead coasters for Dad.
They would make a creative gift to give any dad for Father’s Day or simply as an appreciation gift this year.
To make these adorable coasters you’ll need:
• Blue, white, black, red, green, brown, green, gold and a variety of Perler beads. I used this set and this jumbo container of beads.
• Perler Bead Plates in solid colors and in clear in sizes small and large. (I got my solid colored plates from the set mentioned above. The sets come with their own small plates.)
• Perler bead tweezers
• Parchment paper
• Iron on medium heat.
• This Free Printable Perler Bead Template or you can get template pads like this pad for patterns.
Here’s how to make these Perler bead coasters:
1. Divide your Perler bead colors, if they did not already come divided. Having all the colors you need separated will make the process go so much faster. It takes far too much time to separate as you design your coasters.
2. To make the “DAD” letter coasters, I started with an edge of green beads on the small rectangular Perler plate that came with the set I bought. I then eye balled the shape of the letter “D” in almost the center of plate. I created the “D” shape with some red Perler beads.
3. Fill in the blank space with white Perler beads.
4. Once your design is complete, place a piece of parchment paper over the beads.
5. Gently iron your beads on medium heat to bond the beads together to form the coasters. You don’t want to iron too much or too hard as you can melt the beads down and deform the shape.
8. Once it’s cooled, you can repeat the process to make another “D” and an “A” to spell DAD.
9. If you prefer to not eyeball or come up with your own design, you can use the printable pattern I created above to make a bow tie and hamburger shaped coasters for Dad. Two of his favorite things I’m sure.
10. To use the printable pattern, you print out the page and take your large clear perler bead plate and place it over each pattern.
11. You match each bead with its corresponding color as best as you can to form the shapes of each patter. Using your tweezers is very helpful with both of these methods to make your coasters.
12. Once you have your patterns fully outlined with beads from the page, you can repeat the process of ironing the beads mentioned earlier.
The process of creating the patterns does take a fair amount of time with the beads, but it’s really fun and the end result is adorable!
He’ll surely love looking down at the coasters and remembering that you took the time to do something special for him to show that you appreciate him.
You can pair them with this fun printable Father’s Day card when you gift them to Dad.
I hope you have a very Happy Father’s Day relaxing with dad and these fun coasters.
Be sure to shop the craft section of your favorite JOANN Fabric and Craft Store to pick up some Perler beads to make some fun coasters for your Dad! You can also find these products right here on Joann.com.