DIY Halloween Surprise Cupcakes
Halloween is just around the corner and it’s always so much fun to bake some spooky treats to celebrate. I usually only bake a Halloween themed cake, but I love to switch it up each year. This year, I decided to make some super colorful and fun cupcakes in addition to our annual Halloween cake. I’m all about the retro 90s colors and prints this year, in case you couldn’t tell by the theme of these cupcakes. If you’re looking for some special, tasty treats to make for this fun holiday, you’ll definitely want to check out these super cute DIY Halloween Surprise Cupcakes! When you cut them open, they have a spooky surprise hidden inside! Hi, everyone! I’m Vanessa Diaz of Brite & Bubbly and here’s how to make this festive and simple Halloween treat!
To make these colorful cupcakes you’ll need:
• 2 boxes of white cake mix or a white cake mix recipe of your choice with ingredients
• 1 box of brownie mix or a brownie recipe of your choice with ingredients
• Bake Easy spray
• 1 cookie pan
• 1 cupcake pan
• Parchment paper
• Wilton Color Cups in a colorful leopard print (available in-stores) or these bright rainbow cups
• Wilton Creepy Sprinkles Lab
• A variety of Halloween themed sprinkles and spooky edible eyes like these or these
• Red sprinkles (available in-stores)
• 2 small round cookie cutters (1 about one inch and one slightly smaller, available in-stores)
• Green, orange, and purple food coloring
• Wilton ColorSwirl decorating set
• Mini circle cutter
• 3 Wilton icing containers
• Wilton spatula
• Plastic straw
Here’s how to make these cupcakes:
1. First, you mix up your cake and brownie mixes per your mix or recipes instructions. You then divide the cake mix into three bowls. One you add red sprinkles to the white cake batter and simply stir them in. This will give the hidden eyeballs inside their vein like look. In the other bowls, you’ll add green food coloring to one and purple food coloring to the other. You’ll mix the colors up until completely mixed. You’ll then line your cookie sheet pans with parchment paper and spray the edges of the pan with Bake Easy spray. You then bake thin layers of cake with each batter for about 20-25 minutes. I divided the pan with white sprinkle batter and purple batter and then with green batter to bake. You’ll do the same with your brownie mix.
2. Once your cakes are baked and they are completely cooled, you’ll use the largest circle cookie cutter to cut out the outer piece of the eyeballs.
3. You then use the smaller circle cookie cutter to cut out the purple cornea area of the eyeball.
4. Lastly, you’ll cut out the black pupil area of the eyeballs from the baked brownies with the mini circle cutter.
5. Once your pieces are cut out, you’ll begin to assemble each eyeball. First, you’ll use the second largest circle cookie cutter to cut out a circle from the white cake circles you first cut out.
6. You’ll then place the purple cake circles you cut out into the white circle.
7. Lastly, you’ll use a straw to cut out circles from the purple pieces and then place the circle brownie pieces you cut out into the purple circle pieces. You’ll repeat these steps until you have at least 2 eyeballs per cupcake baking cup.
8. Once you’ve assembled all your cake eyeballs, you’ll then pour some of your purple cake batter into your baking cups. You’ll then place 2 in each of the eyeballs in the center of the cupcake baking cups. You’ll add a layer of green cake batter followed by another layer of purple.
9. You’ll also do some cupcakes that are just layers of purple and green batter with your leftover cake batter.
10. Bake up your cupcakes according to your mix or recipe instructions and let them cool completely once they are done.
11. Add green, orange, and purple food coloring to your decorating icing or you can buy them already in these colors.
12. Place each color inside your Wilton ColorSwirl decorating set in order to get the multicolor icing swirl when you decorate your cupcakes.
13. Decorate your cupcakes with icing and a variety of sprinkles and edible eyeball decorations. Once you’ve decorated all the cupcakes, serve and enjoy!
You can make them look like little monster themed cupcakes…
Or like some witches brew cupcakes…
Or you can just add some spooky eyeballs to the cupcakes!
However, you decide to decorate them will be perfectly fine for these spooky treats!
Decorating the cupcakes is only half the fun of these surprise cupcakes. When you’re done and ready to enjoy them, slice one open down the center to get the full effect of the spooky eyeballs hidden inside the cupcakes. They will look like they do below if they have an eyeball inside. If they don’t have an eyeball, they will be layers of green and purple colorful cake.
How cool is that eyeball, folks?!! It’s the perfect spooktastic Halloween treat.
These will surely be a hit at any Halloween celebration or party. I can’t wait to bake them up again for Halloween!
I’m sure whoever you serve these colorful and spooky cupcakes to will love them as much as my family and I do!
Have a tasty Halloween everyone!
Be sure to shop the bakery section of your favorite Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores to make more fun Halloween treats!