DIY Mermaid Beach Bag
Everything is coming up mermaids lately, and we love it! Here is a fun bag to help get you in the mood for summer, perfect for mermaid loving adults or kids. Hi there! Jess from The Sewing Rabbit, here. Download the free mermaid applique pattern to put on your own beach bag, or get creative and put it on the bottom of a tote, beach towel, or sundress. The possibilities are endless!
Mermaid Beach Bag DIY:
Skill level: Intermediate
Time Needed: Weekend project
● Free mermaid applique download
● White canvas fabric
● Fat quarters for mermaid
● Metallic scales cosplay fabric
● Blue RIT dye
● Pellon Wonder Under
● Basic sewing essentials
Download your free mermaid pattern by clicking HERE
2. Cut out pattern pieces as indicated.
3. Cut (2) rectangles of fabric from the white canvas fabric 14”W b 19”L. Measure along the bottom of the width of the fabric, and place mermaid body where desired ⅜” up from the bottom edge. If you want the mermaid body on both the front and back of the bag, then place mermaid body on opposite side of other fabric rectangle (you want them to be mirror image).
Mark where you want the mermaid to be with a fabric marker or chalk.
4. Remove wonder under paper backing, and iron on. For added security, sew around raw edge using a small zigzag stitch. Repeat for mermaid bodice and hair.
5. Trace facial markings onto the mermaid face, and embroider. I used the darning stitch on my sewing machine and simply moved the needle back and forth as desired. If you do not feel like embroidering the face, you can also use fabric friendly markers or puff paint to simply draw the face on!
7. Dip the mermaid fabric panel in, letting the mermaid ‘swim’ in the water for a good 20 minutes. When finished, rinse with cold water until the water runs clear. Run the fabric panels through the washing machine and dryer at this time.
8. While you are waiting for the dye process to finish, you can sew the straps for the bag. Cut (2) straps 3”L x 60”W. Fold strap in half right sides together, matching up the long outer edge. Pin and sew, using a ½” seam allowance.
9. Using a safety pin or fabric turner, turn strap right side out and press. Tuck the raw side edges ¼” to the inside of the fabric tube and press. Edge stitch all around. Repeat for both straps.
11. Place mermaid tail right sides together, matching up the raw edges. Sew around the sides and bottom. Clip seams and turn right sides out.
12. Stuff tail with polyfil. Baste stitch top opening closed, using a ¼” seam allowance.
13. Pin the top of the tail to the bottom of the bag, directly underneath your mermaid. Baste stitch in place to secure.
15. Fold the top edge ¾” towards the wrong side and press.
16. Find the front top center of your bag, and measure down 1”. Sew 2 buttonholes, 1” in length, and ½” apart from each other, on either side of that center marking. Repeat for both front and back of the top of the bag.
17. Fold the top of the bag down 1.25” towards the wrong side and press. Sew around to secure the tie casing closed.
19. Pin a safety pin to the top of each tie, and bring up through the back buttonholes. Gently pull the tie through the casing to the front of the bag, using the safety pin as your guide, being careful not to twist the safety pin as you pull. Pull the ties through the front buttonholes, remove safety pin – and you are finished!