DIY Spring Sign
So the snow is melting and it is supposed to be 60 degrees this weekend in Ohio. Does this mean Spring is here? Oh I am hoping so. While we have had a mild winter, I am known to be a seasonal complainer when winter is around. I love this sign because it is so me. All I talk about in winter is Spring. Oh how I miss you Spring.
● Silhouette Cameo machine
● transfer tape
● Spring Studio file
● 13 x 17 Pallet Board
● Stain (I did Early American followed by Weathered Gray)
● Krylon White Spray Primer
● Krylon Clear Sealer spray
● faux flowers
● hot glue gun
optional: sanding sponge, pre-wood conditioner
- If your pallet board is a little rough you might want to sand it with some fine grit sandpaper. The smoother it is, the better the vinyl stencil will adhere to it.
- Stain the pallet board. Since it is a pine wood, I highly recommend a pre-wood conditioner before your stain. It helps the stain go on without splotches. Let it dry overnight.
- Using a Silhouette machine cut out the file onto vinyl. Fonts: Ar Bonnie and Bobbie Script. You will ahve to have these downloaded onto your computer before you open the file in your Silhouette studio program.
- Peel away the letters with a stick pin or weeding tool.
- Using transfer tape, transfer the stencil onto your board. Burnish all the bubbles out of the stencil and remove the tape.
- Tape off the rest of the board so it doesn’t catch any overspray from your spray paint.
- Here is my top secret tip for perfect vinyl stencils. Spray your stencil with a clear sealer. This seals the stencil and any bleed through that you have will be the clear sealer and not your spray paint. Once that is dry then go over that with a white primer/spray paint.
- Peel away your stencil.
Ooops it wasn’t perfect. To compensate for imperfections give it a quick sand with a sanding sponge.
- Arrange your flowers the way you would like them on your board. You might have to snip off the stems a little so they lay flat.
- Hot glue them on your pallet board.
If you plan on hanging it on the wall I highly recommend picking up some 3M Command Adhesive Picture hanging strips on your next Jo-Ann trip.
I love the look of the flowers with the rustic pallet board. The perfect juxtaposition.
For more Spring inspiration click on the pictures below…