DIY Tailgate Cake Plate
How To Make A Cake Plate & Easy Football Tailgate Party Cake Topper
Hi there! Kim Byers from The Celebration Shoppe here, with a super simple DIY cake plate. With only a few items you can have a beautiful stripe cake plate perfect for your upcoming tailgate party! And what’s better, with a few lollipop sticks and a sheet of cardstock, you can also have a fun football field goal cake topper!
Okay, let’s get crafty! You’ll need:
- Wooden candle stick
- Wooden circle
- White chalk spray paint
- Martha Stewart mini painters tape
- Plaid Paints Serious Black chalk paint
- Paint brush
- Elmer’s wood glue
- Optional: Chalkboard Cardstock
Super simple DIY:
- Spray paint, two coats, each wooden piece and allow to dry overnight
- Tape stripes
- Paint between stripes and allow to dry for at least 30 minutes
- Remove tape
- Glue two wood pieces together and allow to set for 6 hours
- Optional: Cut chalkboard cardstock in circle and place on top of cake plate. If you have a Cricut Explore, you can use my Design Space circle file and resize for your cake plate top.
Now let’s make this super simple field goal post cake topper! All you’ll need are lollipop sticks and hot glue. Yep. It’s that easy. And if you’d like to make them in cupcake size, you’ll just need a pair of scissors!
For the football, you can use Core’dinations brown cardstock and my Cricut Explore Design Space file. Or, if you don’t have a Cricut, cut an oval out by hand and use a white Elmer’s Painters Marker to draw on the laces.
One more cake topper idea for your tailgate party! Do you prefer something that screams your team colors? My youngest son, Cole, loves football and wanted a football birthday party. I whipped up these pennants for his cake topper. He loved them and we used them as fun photo props with his friends too. We personalize the files, you print, cut and hot glue to wooden dowels (found in the wood crafting section).
I can also teach you how to make the GAME ON popcorn bags using a few goodies I picked up at JOANN! Hop over and join me at The Celebration Shoppe today, search tailgating in the archives and I’ll teach you how!
Shop this project:
- Candle Stick
- Wood Circle
- Krylon Chalkboard Paint White
- Folk Art Chalkboard Paint
- Paint Brush
- Martha Stewart Patterning Tape
- Elmer’s Wood Glue
- Wooden Dowels (for pennants)
- Chalkboard Cardstock (for cake plate top)
- Core’dinations Brown Cardstock (for football)
- Lollipop sticks
- Cricut Explore Air
As always, I hope you’re inspired to craft, bake, create and celebrate with JOANN!