Easy Dip Dye Mermaid Beach Tote
We’re planning a trip to the beach at the end of the summer and I wanted a new beach tote! Have you ever tried to tie-dye? It’s so fun, but this project is a dip dye. Hi! I’m Kim Byers of The Celebration Shoppe. Let’s get crafty!
After I dyed one tote and loved it, I dyed a second and embellished it. I started to put my name on it, but then the big kid in me opted for the oh so cute mermaid tail.
To make this super easy dip dye craft, just hop over to your local Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store, or shop online, for a few supplies:
• White cotton fabric tote* (available in-stores)
• Tulip One-Step Tie-Dye Kit, Blue and Turquoise
• Plastic tote (rinses clean)
• Cricut Iron-on, Blue Glitter and Flocked Pink
• Cricut Explore
• Cricut Explore Standard Mat
• Cricut Weeding Tool
• Cricut Design Space Project
*Only use cotton fabric totes for iron-on. Polyester, etc. will not work for iron-on embellishments.
Easy How To Steps:
1. Dip & Dye – place tote in plastic box, drench bottom half with turquoise (or blue) dye. Allow to sit for a few minutes and then hold it up to drip off excess. Next, air dry the bag on a clothes line or similar. Personally, I hung mine on a branch in the yard. It’s what you do when you don’t have a clothes line.
2. Mermaid embellishments – after the tote is completely dry, use your Cricut to cut a mermaid tail out of flocked pink iron-on, and bubbles out of blue glitter iron-on. Follow directions on package to adhere the designs to fabric. It’s super easy; just don’t forget to mirror image iron-on projects!