Easy to Make Thanksgiving Decor
One of my favorite craft projects is to make custom signs for my home as well as gifts for other people’s houses. When you have a digital cutting machine like a Silhouette Cameo 3 or a Cricut Air they make sign making a snap. This sign is appropriate for Thanksgiving but also has a great message year round.
Hi, I’m Beckie Farrant from Infarrantly Creative, here to show you this beautiful sign just in time for Thanksgiving.
• Wood board
• Gray paint
• White paint
• Chop saw
• Nail gun
• Clear spray paint
• Digital cutting machine (Silhouette Cameo 3 or a Cricut Air)
• Vinyl (Silhouette or Cricut)
• Transfer tape
• Silhouette thanks and giving cut file
1. I found a piece of scrap wood in my garage and used that for my sign. It was 19” wide x 22” tall x 3/4” thick
2. I started by painting the sign with a medium tone gray paint. I let that dry overnight.
3. Using my Silhouette machine I cut the letters out. Click here for the free file. Since the Silhouette machine only cuts 12” wide I had to divide it up into 2 separate cuts. Once cut, I removed the vinyl background of the letters.
4. Using my transfer tape I transferred the vinyl letters to the sign.
5. To get a good adhesion I burnished the letters down and then gave it a quick spray of clear spray paint. This step helps seal the letters so the paint doesn’t bleed as much.
6. Once that is dry you can add the background color over the letters. Once you have good coverage, use a stick pin to peel the letters off. If there is any bleed through use a small paint brush and touch it up.
7. Meanwhile, cut some wood for the frame. I used 1 x 2 pieces of stock lumber. Stain them with your choice of color.
8. Once dry nail the frame in place.
Optional: If you want to hang it on the wall use some D-rings screwed into the back. You can also sand the sign to give it a distressed look.