Kids Dolman Robe
Have you seen the new custom fabric line available exclusively at JOANN Fabric & Craft Stores? You can now personalize the fabric of your choice to make the perfect handmade craft. Add a name, a favorite quote, or a monogram to make a unique bridal, baby, birthday, or home decor gift for your loved one. Available in fleece, knit, canvas, minky, or poplin – the possibilities are endless! Hi there! Jess from The Sewing Rabbit, and today I am going to show you how to make this fun robe for your little one.
Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse are timeless classics, and I happen to know a little girl that will flip to see her name next to her favorite Disney character.
Kids Raglan Robe Sewing Pattern
Pattern size – (one size) 4t thru 6t
Skill level: Advanced Beginner (familiar with knits)
Time Needed: 2 – 3 hours
● Click here to download the free kids raglan robe sewing pattern
● 1.5 – 2 yards knit fabric
● Knit stay tape
● Ball point sewing needle
● Coordinating thread
● Basic sewing essentials (available in-store)
1. Print out pattern and tape pages together as indicated. Verify that the 2” test square is correct, and cut out pattern pieces.
2. Fold belt loop pattern piece right sides together, matching up long side edges. Pin and sew. Turn loop right side out. Repeat for both belt loops.
3. Fold sleeve right sides together, matching up the shorter outer edges. Pin and sew. Fold in half, matching up the outer raw edges, enclosing the seam. Repeat for both sleeves.
4. Fold the belt loop in half, matching up the outer edges, creating a loop. Using the belt loop marking on the pattern, pin raw edges of belt loop to right side of the back robe pattern piece. Baste stitch to secure. Repeat for both sides.
5. Place front and back robe pattern pieces right sides together, matching up the shoulder and side seams. Pin and sew.
6. Slip sleeve over the robe arm, matching up the side seam with the sleeve seam, with all raw edges touching. Pin around and sew, using a serger, zigzag, or stretch stitch. Press seam up (towards shoulder), and sew around using a long straight stitch. Repeat for both sleeves.
7. Iron knit stay tape onto the wrong side of the entire outer edge of the robe. Fold outer edge towards the wrong side, enclosing the knit stay tape, and press. Sew around using a double needle, zigzag stitch, stretch stitch, or long straight stitch.
8. Fold belt wrong sides together, matching up the long outer edge. Pin and sew. Turn belt tube right side out and press. Fold belt side edges ¼” towards the seam side; fold again ¼” and press. Sew to secure. Repeat for both sides.
Slip belt through the belt loops, and you are done!