Mini DIY Independence Day Surprise Cakes
With Independence Day just around the corner, I’m sure you’re already with your fun DIY Party Décor. Now all you need are some fun & festive tasty treats for those July 4th parties. Don’t waste a ton of money on expensive cakes, when you can make your own Mini DIY Independence Day Surprise Cakes! These little cakes have red, white, and blue surprises hidden inside each one. Hi everyone! I’m Vanessa Diaz of Brite & Bubbly and today I’m showing you how to make these easy and creative little cakes.
To make these festive little cakes you’ll need:
• 2 Boxes of White Cake Mix (which you can color red, white, & blue) or Pre-Colored Red, White, Blue Cake Mixes.
• Red, White and Blue Food Coloring ( if you need to color your white cake mix)
• 3 Small 4 inch Cake Pans
• Non-Stick Baking Spray
• Red, White, & Blue Sprinkles (available in-store), Small Candy Pearls, and Stars
• Cupcake Flags For Decorating Cakes
• Cake Lifter
• Red & White Icing
• Cake Decorating Bags
• Metal Decorating Tips
• Patriotic Star Marshmallows
• 2 inch Round Cookie Cutter
• Cake Turntable
• Cardboard Cake Discs
• Icing Smoother
Here’s how to make each cake:
1. Pre-Heat your oven to 350 Degrees. I already used colored red, white, and blue cake mixes, which you can find in the baking aisle of your grocery store in small packs. But if you’re using simply white cake mix, you’ll divide the two boxes of cake mix into three bowls. You’ll then add the red and blue food coloring to two of the bowls. You’ll then spray your 4 inch cake pans with Non-Stick Spray and bake them for 20-22 minutes. You’ll make 3 red, 3 blue and 3 white mini cakes.
2. After you’re cakes are baked and cooled, you’ll then divide 3 colors for each cake. You then take 2 red, 1 blue and 1 white cake and use your 2 inch round cookie cutter to cut out circles from the middle of the cakes. Save the centers of the red and white cakes as you’ll be putting those inside the circle hole you made in the blue cake.
3. You’ll start layering your cakes starting with the flag surprise cake. Place one layer of red cake first on a cardboard circle, followed by some white icing, then a white layer, followed by some icing, then a red layer and icing, and topped with the blue layer with the circle cut out and the white and red circle cut outs that you saved inside the hole of the blue cake.
4. You’ll transfer your cake to the cake turntable and use your spatula and icing smoother to frost the cake.
5. You’ll then do the 3-colored layer mini cake by simply stacking a red, white, and blue layer of cake one on top of the other with white icing in between each layer on to a cake disc. Transfer the cake to the cake turntable and use your spatula and icing smoother to frost the cake.
6. Lastly you’ll do the surprise mini piñata cake. You’ll stack your white, 2nd red cake with a circle cut out of it with white icing in between. You’ll then pour some sprinkles, stars, and candy pearls into the hole of the red cake. You’ll ice the outer layer of the red cake surround the hole with white icing and place your blue layer on top of it.
7. You’ll then transfer this last cake to the cake turntable and use your spatula and icing smoother to frost the cake. For this cake you’ll add a thin layer, and then place it into your freezer to harden a bit, then take it out and place a smooth layer of your icing on it with the icing smoother.
8. You then decorate your cakes with sprinkles, red icing & wording, star marshmallows, and star sprinkle candies. You can decorate it however you’d like or you can decorate them how I decorated mine. I did one covered in sprinkles, one covered in star candies and sprinkles and one with icing, sprinkles and marshmallows. However you decorate them, they will sure look cute either way!
9. Slice and serve on mini cake stands! Enjoy!
Your guests will surely love the variety that each little patriotic themed cake has to offer.
They will also be excited to see what surprise awaits them as they slice open each cake. Mini Surprise cakes are the best, especially when they are celebrating Independence Day and are red, white and blue!
I hope you have a very Happy and Safe Independence Day everyone!
Be sure to shop the baking section of your favorite Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store to pick up some more fun baking supplies for all your summer holiday tasty treats. You can more great baking products right here on Joann.com.