Personalized Table Runner
Hi everyone! It’s Merrick from Merrick’s Art here, and personalizing my sewing creations is one of my favorite things to do. Today I’m excited to share with you a really fun and easy project that would be perfect for your summer parties, or even just something to spice up your normal dinner table!
And the most fun part about this project is that you can personalize it however you want. There are so many possibilities with different colors and sizes of tassels, or different colors, sizes, or shapes of stamps. Do whatever fits your style!
I’d been on the hunt for a flamingo stamp for a tropical/flamingo party I threw last month, and when I couldn’t find anything that I loved, I decided to just make one. I used a stamp carving tool set and carving block to create the stamp, and then stamped it onto a super lightweight white denim, and added some brightly colored tassels on each end with yarn, both of which I found at JOANN.
Here’s how to make it:
1. Measure your table and determine how long and wide you want your runner. I cut mine 18” wide, and about 4 inches longer than the table on each side. Hem each side up ½” (folding up ¼” first, and then a ¼” again).
2. Now it’s time for stamping! Decide how many times you want to stamp in each row (it will vary from project to project depending on how large or small your stamp is), and then use a measuring tape and tailors chalk to make evenly spaced marks across your runner, marking where you want to stamp.
3. Use a brayer to evenly distribute paint along your stamp, and then carefully stamp on top of your measured markings.
4. Continue to stamp down your runner until you’re done. Let it dry overnight, and follow the instructions on your fabric paint for paint sealing (some need to be heat dried).
5. Use these instructions to create a perfect tassel and then hand stitch them to the end of the runner with a needle and thread.
Now go throw a party!!