Saint Patrick’s Day Surprise Cake
Saint Patrick’s Day is one of my favorite holidays to create fun recipes for, because for me that means lots of rainbow and pot of gold goodies! I’m all about color and rainbow anything is my favorite. Making a colorful cake with a surprise inside can easily be achieved with some sprinkles and a little creativity. Hi everyone! I’m Vanessa Diaz of Brite & Bubbly and here’s an easy idea for a super cute Saint Patrick’s Day Surprise Cake!
To make this cake, you’ll need:
● 4 boxes of Pound Cake Mix
● 3 Mixing Bowls
● Wilton White Buttercream Icing Mix to make your Pink, Blue, Purple, Yellow, Green, and White cake icing
● Wilton Food Coloring
● 2 Wilton® Perfect Results 9.25″X5.25″ Large Loaf Pan
● 3 Wilton 6 inch Round Cake Pans
● 6 inch Cake Circles
● Wilton Spatula
● Wilton Cake Lifter
● Wilton Bake Easy Spray
● Wilton Disposable Pastry Bags
● Green Fondant
● Fondant Roller
● Powdered Sugar
● Shamrock Cookie Cutter
● 3 inch Round Cookie Cutter
● Lollipop Sticks
● Gold Sugar Pearls
● Green and White Sprinkles
● Large Cookie Sheet Pan
● Small Skewers
● Parchment Paper
● Fondant Smoother
● Gold Found Here Sign, FREE PRINTABLE
Here’s how to make the cake:
- First you mix your pound cake mix according to your box instructions. You then divide the cake mix into 3 different mixing bowls. One bowl will be the white cake, one will be the green cake, and one will be the black cake. You add the food colorings to each corresponding bowl and mix the batter well with the food coloring.
- Bake your green and black cake mix inside the Wilton Large Loaf pans and once they are done remove and let cool. Make sure to spray the pans with Wilton Easy Bake Spray, so the cakes do not get stuck in the pans. While the cakes are baking, you place your white cake mix into four pastry bags.
- Once the green and black cakes are cooled, you cut the cakes into 1 inch slices. You then use your shamrock cookie cutter and circle cookie cutter to create your shamrock and pot pieces that will be hidden inside your cake. You press the cookie cutter into each slice of cake to create the shapes. You’ll cut the circles in half to create the pots.
- You then place your shamrock cake pieces with the stems facing up and the leaves facing down into one of the 6 inch round cake pans. You place the pot pieces with the flat side down into a 6 inch cake pan as well.
- Using the white cake inside the pastry bags, Fill the blank sides of the 6 inch cake pan covering the shamrock and pot cake pieces. You fill the third 6 inch cake pan with the excess white cake batter. You bake all three 6 inch round cake pans using the directions found on your cake mix box.
- Once the cakes are baked and cooled, you begin to stack the layers of the cake. The bottom first layer is the pot layer and you place it on a 6 inch cake circle. The middle layer is the plain white layer. With the plain white layer you will cut out some of the cake mix down the center with a spoon or ice cream scoop. You fill the area you dug out with the gold sugar pearls. The top and final layer is the shamrock layer.
- Pipe lines of Pink, Blue, Purple, Yellow, and Green icing between each layer of cake as you stack the layers of cake. This will create a hint of rainbow color when you cut the cake.
- Freeze the cake for 5 minutes, so the icing hardens. Take it out of the freezer and use your spatula to ice the outside layer with white icing. You then place a 6 inch cake circle at the top of the cake. You should have one at the top and one at the bottom. This is what you will use to roll the cake into your sprinkles.
- Pour your green and white sprinkles into your cookie sheet pan. Grab your cake by the top and bottom and roll the cake into the sprinkles. You should cover all sides of the cake with sprinkles. You will use your fondant smoother to make sure the sprinkles and sides are smooth around the cake.
- Place some white icing on the top of the cake and smooth it out with your spatula. Use your spoon and spatula to place the sprinkles on the top of the cake. Use your fondant smoother to smooth out the top sprinkles. Place your cake back into the freezer. The cake needs to be kept cool, as you make the final decorations for the cake.
- On some parchment paper covered in powdered sugar, roll out your green fondant with your fondant roller. Make the fondant about half an inch thick and use your shamrock cookie cutter to cut shamrock pieces for the top of your cake. Once you have your fondant shamrock pieces, place them onto your skewers. Your pieces should look like little shamrock lollipops.
- Print your free printable sign and cut out one sign. Stick one sign to a popsicle stick. This will be the little sign to show those pesky leprechauns where to go to find their gold.
- Take your cake out of the freezer and place your skewered shamrock pieces and printable sign on the popsicle stick on top of your cake.
- Place your cake on a cake stand and serve!
That’s it! You’re done! When you slice the cake, make sure to slice it straight across to reveal a hidden shamrock and a pot of gold (with gold that pours out when the cake is cut).
It’s such a fun and creative cake for Saint Patrick’s Day. I’m sure who ever you serve this colorful cake too, they will love it as much as my family and I do!
Be sure to shop the bakery section of your favorite JOANN Fabric and Craft Store to make your own Saint Patrick’s Day Surprise Cake!