Bloomin' Baby Headband
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Red Heart® Soft Baby Steps Yarn®,1 skein ea: Elephant (A); Strawberry (B); Lavender (C)
- Crochet hooks: Size H-8 [5mm]; J-10 [6mm]
- Yarn needle
- Tape measure
GAUGE: Gauge is not critical for this project.
- Written for Preemie size. Changes for Baby & Toddler are in ( ). Headband will stretch to fit various head sizes.
- Circumference: 10 (13, 16)" [25.5 (33, 40.5) cm]
- Width: 1¼ (1¼, 1¼)" [3, (3, 3) cm]
- SPECIAL TECHNIQUE: Adjustable-ring method: Wrap yarn into a ring; ensure tail falls behind the working yarn. Grip ring & tail firmly between middle finger & thumb. Insert hook through center of ring, yo (with working yarn) & draw up a loop. Work stitches of first rnd in the ring. After the first rnd of sts is worked, pull gently, but firmly, on tail to tighten ring.
- HEADBAND: With smaller hook & A, ch 9 tightly.
- Row 1: Slip st in 6th ch from hook, ch 3, skip next 2 ch, slip st in last ch; turn—2 ch-3 spaces.
- Row 2: Ch 3, slip st in first ch-space, ch 3, slip st in next ch-space; turn.
- Rep Row 2 until headband is 10 (13, 16)" [25.5 (33, 40.5) cm] long. Fasten off; leave long tail.
- FLOWER: With smaller hook & B, ch 2.
- Rnd 1 (WS): Work 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook; join with slip st in first sc, turn.
- Rnd 2 (RS): Ch 1, 2 sc in each sc; join with slip st in first sc—12 sc. Do not turn.
- Rnd 3: Working in front loops only, (slip st, 2 hdc, dc, tr, ch 1, tr, dc, 2 hdc, slip st) in first sc, slip st in next sc, *(slip st, 2 hdc, dc, tr, ch 1, tr, dc, 2 hdc, slip st) in next sc, slip st in next sc; rep from * around—6 small petals. Do not join in first st. Fasten off.
- Rnd 4: With RS facing & larger hook, join C with slip st in back loop of any st, ch 2, working in back loops only, *slip st in next st, ch 2; rep from * to beg ch; join with slip st in first st—
- 12 ch-2 spaces.
- Rnd 5: (Hdc, dc, tr, ch 2, tr, dc, hdc) in each ch-2 space (large petal made); join with slip st in first st—12 large petals. Fasten off.
- CENTERPIECE: With smaller hook & A, make a small adjustable ring.
- Rnd 1: Ch 2, *[yo, insert hook in ring, pull up a loop, yo, draw through 2 loops] 4 times (5 loops on hook); yo, draw through all 5 loops; rep from * twice. Fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing. Gently pull beg tail to close ring tightly. Weave end tail through tops of loops; pull gently to form ball.
- FINISHING: Sew short ends of headband together. Thread tails of centerpiece through Rnd 1 of flower, then through headband to cover seam. Secure flower. Weave in ends.
- beg = beginning;
- ch = chain
- dc = double crochet
- hdc = half double crochet
- RS = right side
- rnd = round
- sc = single crochet
- st( = stitch; tr = treble crochet; yo = yarn over; [ ] = work directions in brackets the number of times specified; * = repeat whatever follows the * or ** as indicated.
- WS = Wrong side
Items in This Collection
Item # xprd634079
Available for U.S. Shipping Only