Bountiful Buttons Pillow
- 1/2 yd Blizzard fleece solid
- 12" square pillow form
- 28 buttons: 7/8 to 1" in diameter
- Basic sewing supplies
- Water-erasable marker
- Fray Check™ liquid seam sealant
- mm twin needle
- 2 spools thread
- Sewing machine
- Rotary cutter, ruler & mat
DIRECTIONS: RS = Right side(s) WS = Wrong side(s)
1. Cut two 18" squares of fleece.
2. Center, measure & mark a 12" square on the RS of 1 fleece piece.
3. Draw parallel lines within the square with the erasable marker to use as guides.
4. Set the machine to a straight stitch with the needle in the center position. Place the twin needle in the machine & thread it with the two spools. Set the stitch length a bit longer than normal, but not fully basting.
5. Determine the design and sew the straight lines. If sewing the scallop stitch, reduce stitch width so the needle does not swing & hit the foot. Turn the wheel & hand walk through the stitch before sewing to check that it does not hit the foot.
6. When center design is complete, sew parallel lines from the square out to the edge all around for a ribbing edge effect. Complete the design by sewing the original square. At the beginning and end of the seams, pull the threads to the back and tie knots, rather than back stitching.
7. On the WS of the stitched top, put seam sealant on the bobbin thread of each ribbing line 1" from the edge to the edge. Allow to dry.
8. Stack plain fleece square face down and stitched square face up. Pin in the center. Use the rotary cutter to trim around all sides for a consistent edge width and to cleanly cut the edge.
9. Arrange buttons around the ribbing section and sew in place. Before sewing on the last couple of buttons, slip in the pillow form, then sew the remaining buttons.