Bouquet of Daisies Cake
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Wilton® foodcrafting supplies:Roll-N-Cut mat9" fondant rollerNeon Colors Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant Multi PackGum Paste Flower Cutter setWhite Ready-To-Use fondantLeaf Cut-Outs fondant cuttersIcing Colors: Kelly Green, Royal Blue & VioletBrush setPearl Dust: Leaf Green, Ruby Red, Yellow, Lilac Purple, WhiteOrange Color DustThinned fondant adhesive recipeRecipe Right 6"x2" round panRecipe Right 10"x16" cooling gridWhite decorator icing9" angled spatulaFondant smootherPlastic dowel rodDetail embosserWhite icing writerFondant trimmer
- Wire cutters
- 22-gauge cloth-covered florist wire
- Plastic ruler
- Favorite cake recipe or mix
1. At least two to three days in advance, make fondant flowers and leaves. Use fondant roller with purple guide rings to roll out neon fondant 1/8" thick. Use small and medium daisy cutter to cut 11 each small and medium flowers. Tint 1 oz. white fondant green. Use fondant roller with purple guide rings to roll out green fondant 1/8" thick. Use medium leaf Cut-Out to cut 10 leaves. Allow flowers and leaves to dry on cornstarch-dusted surface overnight. Reserve remaining fondant.
2. Also in advance, decorate leaves and flowers. When dry, brush flowers and leaves with Pearl Dust to match colors. For orange color, mix white Pearl Dust with orange Color Dust. Use thinned fondant adhesive to attach small daisy to center of medium daisy. For flower centers, roll small white balls of fondant and use damp brush to attach to flowers. Allow to dry 8 hours or overnight.
3. Also in advance, attach flowers to wires. Use wire cutter to cut three florist wires to 13", three to 10", two to 9" and three to 8". Use thinned fondant adhesive to attach flowers and leaves to wires. Allow to dry 4 to 8 hours.
4. Make cake. Prepare batter following recipe directions. Bake 3-layer cake (two 2" high and one 1" high to make a 5" high cake) and allow to cool completely. Prepare 3-layer cake for rolled fondant by lightly icing with icing. Cover cakes with white fondant and use fondant smoother to smooth. Combine remaining violet fondant from flowers with white fondant to equal 15 oz. Add a small amount of Violet Icing Color for shade used on embossed stripes.
5. Make stripes. Tint 5 oz. white fondant with Royal Blue Icing Color for shade used on smooth stripes. Use fondant roller to roll out violet fondant 3/16" thick. Use fondant trimmer to cut eight strips, 1-1/2"x5". Use detail embosser with dash embossing wheel to emboss four strips 1/4" apart. Use fondant roller to roll out blue fondant 3/16" thick. Use fondant trimmer to cut eight smooth strips, 1"x5". Use damp brush to attach strips, alternating blue and violet, to cake sides.
6. Make borders. For bottom border, roll 3/4" balls of white fondant and attach to cake with thinned fondant adhesive. Use white Icing Writer to pipe swirls on top of balls. For top border, roll 5/8" white fondant balls and attach with thinned fondant.
7. Add flowers. Cut dowel rod to height of cake and insert into cake center. Drop a piece of fondant into dowel rod to secure flowers. Position flowers.