SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
• Creating New Traditions Fabrics by Fabric Traditions –
o 1/4 - 3/8 yds. of turquoise zigzag, orange zigzag, violet zigzag, aqua dot, orange dot and navy dot fabrics (the amount of the fabric depends on the size of the lampshade)
• Scraps or 1/8 yd. of three or more assorted prints for the bows
• Lampshade – the one pictured is a cylindrical style that was 8" high by about 8" in diameter
• Basic Sewing Supplies
• Sewing machine
• Iron and pressing surface
• Hot glue gun and glue sticks
1. From each zigzag stripe and dot fabric, cut a fabric rectangle two times the height of the lampshade plus 2" to 3" by 8" to 10" wide. For an 8" diameter lampshade, cut an 8" wide strip. For a larger lampshade cut a wider strip.
2. Press under 3/4" on each long edges of each strip.
3. Insert a length of thread through the needle and knot the ends together so the thread is doubled. Mark the center of the strip perpendicular to the long edges. Bring the needle up from underneath so the knot is hidden. Insert it back close to where it came out and make a row of about 8 to 12 running stitches that are about 1/4" long across the center.
4. Gather the fabric to about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" wide and knot the thread.
5. Fold each fabric strip around the lampshade with the gathers centered on the inside. Overlap the top end over the bottom end in the center on the outside. Trim the top end 1/4" below the center. Make a row of gathering stitches through both ends the same as in step 3.
6. Cut six 2 1/4" by 5 1/2" rectangles small print or geometric for the bow. Cut six 1 1/2" by 1 1/2" squares for the bow centers. If you are covering a bigger lampshade, you may wish to make the bows larger to cover the gathers.
7. To make the bows, press under 1/2" on the long edges of the rectangle and on two opposite sides of the squares.
8. Fold the unfinished ends of bow to the center back overlapping them 1/2". Make three small running stitches across the center.
9. Gather the center and wrap the thread around the center a couple of times and knot it on the back.
10. Wrap the center around to bow covering the thread and overlap the ends in the back. Sew the ends in place.
11. Glue a bow to the center of each fabric strip covering the gathers.