Brick Patchwork Market Bag
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/4 yd each corduroy, 4 assorted colors
- 1/4 yd blue denim
- 1/4 yd brown corduroy
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
- Iron & ironing surface
- Optional: serger, rotary cutter & mat
- Use 1/4" seam allowance throughout.
- For front & back of bag cut fifty-six 2-1⁄2"x4-1⁄2" corduroy rectangles. To add interest & texture, cut corduroy both horizontally & vertically, first cutting a 2-1⁄2" & a 4-1⁄2" strip from each color before cutting into rectangles.
- Randomly lay rectangles in rows of 3 and 4 "bricks"; alternating to form pattern.
- Sew bricks together, then sew rows together. 8 rows of 3 or 4 bricks are needed. Repeat for back.
- Trim front and back pieces to measure 12-1⁄2"x16", cutting 1/2" from top edge.
- Cut one 9"x43-1⁄2" piece for sides & bottom from brown corduroy.
- Cut two 5"x44" pieces for straps from denim.
- Fold straps in half lengthwise and press. Open and fold edges into middle. Refold and press.
- Place inside edge of strap 3" in from each edge of front. Edge stitch both sides of strap to 5" from the top. Repeat with back piece.
- Reinforce corners of side & bottom piece with stay stitching to align with corners.
- Stitch front to side & bottom, clipping and pivoting at corners. Repeat with back piece. Press seams toward sides. Seams can be finished with serger or zigzag on sewing machine.
- Fold down 1-1⁄2" on top (at seam of first row) & under 1/4"; press. Edge stitch in place keeping handles free.
- Position handles & continue stitching handles to bag and along edges.