Idea Market Burlap Knot Pillow
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/2 yd burlap for pillow covering
- 5/8 yd burlap for knot detail
- 16" square pillow form
- Scissors or rotary cutter and mat
- Glue gun & glue sticks, optional
- Iron & ironing surface
- Basic sewing supplies
All seam allowances are 1/2".
1. Cut 2 pieces of 17"x17" burlap for pillow covering. Set aside.
2. Cut two 18"x15"burlap strips for knot detail.
3. Fold strips in half lengthwise and stitch along long edge.
4. Turn strips right side out and press.
5. Using a needle and thread, baste a straight stitch crosswise at center of strip. Secure one end of thread with a knot and pull other end to gather center of strip.
6. Secure loose end to hold gathering.
7. Once both strips are gathered, pin strips to front pillow piece. To do this, center one strip on pillow front and pin raw edges in place. Place second strip perpendicular to first strip, center on pillow and pin in place along raw edges.
8. Cut one 5"x8" strap from same burlap used for strips. Fold in half lengthwise and stitch along long edge. Turn right side out and press.
9. Wrap strap around center of top strip, covering the gathered stitch.
10. Overlap ends about 1" and trim. Stitch or glue in place.
11. With right sides together and edges even, pin front and back pillow together. Stitch leaving a small opening for turning.
12. Clip corners and turn inside out.
13. Insert pillow form and hand stitch opening closed.