SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 2/3 yd. of burlap
- 1 bottle of blue fabric paint
- Hot glue gun
- Basic sewing supplies
- 1" painters tape
- Small paintbrush
- Sewing machine
- Newspaper to cover work surface
- Iron & pressing surface
1. Cut burlap: two 14" x 14" for bag, one 2" x 39" for flower, two 5" x 17" for handles.
2. Lay one piece of 14" x 14" burlap down on covered work surface and place painters tape in desired striped design. Paint. Let dry. Remove tape.
3. To make flower, fold 39" piece of burlap in half lengthwise.
4. Roll the fabric 3 to 4 times to create center of flower. Glue in place.
5. Begin to twist the rest of burlap around the center and glue periodically to stay in place. Set aside when flower shape is done.
6. Place right sides of 14" burlap squares together and sew with 1/2" seam allowance around 3 sides of burlap. Press.
7. On open, top side, fold down burlap 1" and stitch close to edge.
8. At bottom of bag, pinch the corners together.
9. Stitch 2" across corners to make a square bottom of bag. Trim and press. Turn right side out.
10. Fold 5" x 17" pieces in half lengthwise and stitch with a 1/4" seam allowance.
11. Turn handles right side out and press.
12. Turn up ends 1" and place in desired area on bag with folded edge down. Stitch handles to bag.
13. Glue burlap flower to bag.