SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/2 yd burlap
- 1/2 yd cotton print fabric
- Solid cardstock
- Gold marking pen
- Paper hole punch
- 2 bolts narrow ribbon
- Rotary cutter, mat, grid ruler
- Iron, pressing surface
- Sewing machine & basic sewing supplies
- Optional: 1/2 yd iron-on interfacing
Refer to photo. RS = Right side(s). WS = Wrong side(s).
Burlap: Two 16"x17" pieces (Option: one 16"x17" piece of burlap & one 16"x17" piece of iron-on interfacing)
Cotton print: 5"x17" base
Two 6"x12" handles
1. Lay 2 burlap pieces RS up. Lay 5"x17" cotton base, RS together, on the burlap, 4" up from the bottom edge. Sew the pieces together using 1/2" seam allowance. Fold fabric down. Press. Fold this piece in half, RS together; sew a back seam. Press. Center back seam along the center of the tube; sew along the bottom.
2. Stand tube up. Flatten the corner into triangle shape, along the bottom seam. Measure inward 1¼" from the point & mark. Sew on marked line. Trim excess fabric. Repeat on other end of bottom seam. Fold down the top edge 1¼" to the inside & press. Turn tube RS out. Press to create the side seams.
3. Fold cotton lining RS together. Sew the back seam. Press. Turn the top edge to the WS of the lining 1¼"; press. Repeat to form the flat bottom. Insert into tube; pin in place.
4. Fold each 6"x12" handle fabric in half lengthwise, WS together, & press. Open & fold raw edges to center fold; press. Fold closed; press. Sew along edges of both handles. Sandwich handles 1/4" from side seam & down inside 1¼". Pin in place. Sew around top edge 1/4" from top of tube.
5. Fray several pieces of burlap cut to 17" lengths and cut narrow ribbons to 17" lengths. Cut burlap to 3/4"x17". Fray both sides, leaving 3 center strands. Lay cut pieces together; fold in half. Wrap burlap or ribbon around the bundle to form tassel. Attach tassel to handle with ribbon.
6. Cut 2¼"x4¼" tag from cardstock. Draw gold along the edges and add lettering. Punch center hole. Tie to handle with ribbon.