Buttercream™ Audrey Quilt
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/4" graph paper
- Clear tape
- Approximately 1 yd. each of 13 different fabrics from the Buttercream™ Audrey collection
- 8 yds. of backing & binding fabric
- 1-1/4 yd muslin for quilting shams
- Queen-size low-loft batting
- Crib-size batting for shams
- Rotary cutter, ruler & mat
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
- Buttercream™ stencils
- Lumiere® “True Gold” fabric paint
- Stenciling sponge
Note: These are intended as a design-your-own project quilt and shams, with some guidance from these pointers.
- Tape the graph paper together to make the queen quilt size in 1/4 size. Carefully sketch in the design you have in mind to get the desired plan for your quilt. To print the sample, click on the "Download Project PDF" button (above). This is an example of the sketch by the designer for the Buttercream™ Audrey quilt.
- Assign the fabric colors or patterns to each area so you can easily figure out the size to cut for each fabric. Some of the fabrics may have to be pieced to get the desired size/length. Be sure to add seam allowances before cutting.
- Carefully stencil the focal point fabric and allow to dry.
- Start with the center or focal fabric and sew strips together working out from the center. Lightly press after each addition. Work in this way to the edge of the quilt.
- Cut and sew the backing fabric together to get the desired size.
- Sandwich the backing wrong side up, batting and top together. Baste the layers together.
- Quilt as desired.
- Square up the quilt by trimming edges.
- Cut the binding fabric into 2-1/2" strips. Sew the strips end to end to make one long strip. Press the strip in half with WST to form a long 1 1/2" strip pressing seams along the way. Sew raw edges of binding strip even with the quilt edges on the front side of the quilt, mitering the corners. Overlap ends, trim any excess and finish sewing the binding. Fold binding over to the back and sew or hand stitch.
- Make design for the top 28"x22" – simple design that coordinates.
- Sandwich the muslin, batting and top of each sham together and quilt as desired.
- Trim to 27"x21".
- Cut two 17"x21" pieces of fabric for envelope back for each sham.
- Turn down one 17" side of each backing piece 1/2" and press. Turn down another 1/2", press and stitch.
- Lay front face down and pin 2 back pieces right sides up overlapping stitched edges.
- Stitch around with 1/4" seam.
- Bind as you would a quilt.