Buttercream™ Stella Quilt
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Thirty-eight 1/4 yard pieces of assorted fabrics (or 1/2 yd pieces of nineteen fabrics)
- 1-1/2 yards for binding quilt and shams
- 6 yards for Quilt backing
- Three 1/3 yard WOF pieces for shams
- 1 yard for pillow sham backings
- 1-1/2 yards muslin for quilting shams
- Queen size batting for quilt
- Crib size batting for shams
- Rotary cutter, ruler & mat
- Basic sewing supplies
- Iron & pressing surface
- Sewing machine
Use 1/4" seam allowance throughout.
For Quilt (84"x96"):
- From each 1/4 yard fabric piece, cut one 2-1/2" strip and four 1-1/2" strips WOF.
- Mix the fabric pieces by sewing the 2-1/2" strip of a fabric #1 to a 1-1/2" strip of fabric #2, 1-1/2" strip of fabric #1, 1-1/2" strip of fabric #2, and finish with a 1-1/2" strip of fabric #1. This will make an 8-1/2" strip set. Make thirty-eight strip sets.
- Press and cut six 6-1/2" blocks from each strip set.
- Two-hundred twenty-four (224) blocks will be used for the quilt top. Arrange blocks as desired with the stripes going both horizontally and vertically in random fashion.
- Sew fourteen blocks together for each row. There will be sixteen rows.
- Sew the rows together to form the quilt top.
- Sandwich the backing, batting and top together and quilt as desired.
- Trim edges and sew on the binding.
For Shams (26"x20"):
- Cut six strips 10"x21".
- From backing cut 4 pieces 17"x21".
- Sew 3 strips together for each sham front.
- Sandwich the muslin, batting and top of each sham together and quilt as desired.
- Trim to 27"x21".
- To finish the shams, turn down one 17" wide side of each backing piece 1/2" and press. Turn down another 1/2", press and stitch.
- Lay front face down and pin 2 back pieces right sides up overlapping stitched edges.
- Stitch around in ¼” seam. Bind as if a quilt.
Items in This Collection