**Fabric quantities are based on the average size of a 7-year-old child. Increase or decrease the amount of fabric depending on child’s size.
1. Purchase enough fabric to drape as wide as the child’s arm span and as long as the height from the nape of their neck to their ankles.
2. Hem the raw edges if necessary.
3. Cut two 4” x 18” (half the length of the main wing fabric) strips of fabric for the center stripe.
4. Use the diagonal lines on Fiskars® Cutting Mat (12” x 18”) to taper the ends of each strip into a stylized long diamond shape. Set both diamond strips aside.
5. Decorate the wing base with a typically symmetrical butterfly wing pattern using an assortment of different textures and colors.
6. Freehand draw pattern pieces onto construction paper.
7. Use Fiskars® Non-stick Scissors (8”) to cut out patterns.
8. Pin the pattern piece to fabrics. Cut out and sew onto wing base using a zig zag stitch to prevent fraying at the edges.
9. Use Fiskars® Circle Shape Template (8-1/2” x 11”) on vinyl to create the ‘eye’ of the wings. Use Fiskars® Non-stick Scissors (8”) to cut. When working with vinyl try using a non-stick machine presser foot to help the fabric to glide more easily through the machine than a metal zipper foot.
10. Use the long diamond strips to create the center piece of the butterfly.
11. Pin the ends of one long diamond strip to the top and bottom of the wing base.
12. Remember, the long diamond strip is half the length of the wing base. Gather the wing base into layers about 6” from the top and 6” from the bottom.
13. Place the second center strip underneath the wing base on the opposite side of the fabric. Pin in place.
14. Sew all the way around the outside of the back strips, joining the top one to the bottom one and holding the gathers in place.
15. Sew a loop of elastic onto both top outer corners so that the child can put hands through and flap their wings.
16. Sew two lengths of ribbon (each approx. 1 yard long) to the wings at the neckline. Do not sew down bottom ends of the ribbon.
17. To wear wings, wrap the ribbons over child’s shoulders, cross at the chest and tie behind the back.
You can usually expect delivery within 6-10 business days from your order date (business days are Monday-Friday, excluding Holidays). You’ll receive an email with tracking information when your order is shipped. Please allow up to 5 business days to receive your tracking information.
Some items sent directly from our suppliers may take longer, and will ship separate from the remainder of your order.
Please note that Singer sewing machines cannot be shipped to Guam, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands or to military bases overseas.
Most items will give you the option to upgrade your shipping method for faster delivery. If you choose to upgrade your shipping method, your order must be received by 11:00 AM ET or your order may not be processed until the following business day.
For more details & pricing. See our Full Shipping Policy >
Creativity shouldn’t be complicated, so you can return items for FREE any time to our stores for a hassle-free refund with a smile. Personalized Fabric and Custom Headboards purchased online cannot be returned. You can also return online items by mail. See Full Return Policy for Details>