Cable Edged Cowl
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Big Twist™ Premium Worsted (3.5 oz/100 g; 137 yds/125 m), 2 balls, Gingerbread
- Size U.S. 9 knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge
- Cable needle
- 4 buttons
- Approx 25" around (buttoned) x 11" deep.
- GAUGE 17 sts and 23 rows = 4" in
- stocking st.
- Note: Cowl is worked side to side.
- Cast on 44 sts.
- Row 1 - 9: Sl1P. Knit to end of row.
- Row 10: (WS). P14. K16. P14.
- Row 11: Knit.
- Row 12: P14. K4. P8. K4. P14.
- Row 13: K18. yo. K8. yo. K18. 46 sts.
- Row 14: P14. K5. P8. K5. P14.
- Row 15: K2tog. K11. M1. K6. yo. K8. yo. K6. M1. K11. ssk. 48 sts.
- Row 16: P14. K6. P8. K6. P14.
- Row 17: K20. yo. K8. yo. K20. 50 sts.
- Row 18: P14. K7. P8. K7. P14.
- Row 19: Slip first 3 sts onto cable needle and leave at back of work. K2tog. K3, then K3 from cable needle. K5. M1. K8. K4togtbl. K4tog. K8. M1. K5. Sl1P. Slip next 4 sts onto cable needle and leave at front of work. K4, then K2. ssk from cable needle. 44 sts.
- Row 20: P14. K16. P14. Rep 11th to 20th rows for pat until work from beg
- measures approx 24” ending on a 20th row of pat. Next 4 rows: Rep 11th and 12th rows twice more.
- Next 5 rows: Sl1P. Knit to end of row.
- Make Buttonholes: Next row: Sl1P. K5. *yo. K3tog. K7. Rep from * across, ending last rep with K5.
- Next row: Sl1P. K5. *(K1. P1. K1) in next yo. K7. Rep from * across, ending last rep with K5.
- Next 2 rows: Sl1P. Knit to end of row.
- Cast off.
- Sew on buttons to correspond to buttonholes
- Approx = Approximately Beg = Beginning
- K2(3)(4)tog = Knit next 2(3)(4) stitches together
- K4togtbl = Knit next 4 stitches together through back loops K = Knit
- M1 = Make 1 stitch by picking up
- horizontal strand lying before next stitch and knitting into back of loop
- P = Purl
- Pat = Pattern
- Rep = Repeat
- Sl1P = Slip next stitch purlwise
- Ssk = Slip next 2 stitches knitwise one at a time. Pass them back onto left-hand needle, then knit through back loops together
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- Tog = Together
- Yo = Yarn over
- WS = Wrong side