Cable Edged Cowl
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Big Twist™ Premium Worsted (3.5 oz/100 g; 137 yds/125 m), 2 balls, Gingerbread
- Size U.S. 9 knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge
- Cable needle
- 4 buttons
- Approx 25" around (buttoned) x 11" deep.
- GAUGE 17 sts and 23 rows = 4" in
- stocking st.
- Note: Cowl is worked side to side.
- Cast on 44 sts.
- Row 1 - 9: Sl1P. Knit to end of row.
- Row 10: (WS). P14. K16. P14.
- Row 11: Knit.
- Row 12: P14. K4. P8. K4. P14.
- Row 13: K18. yo. K8. yo. K18. 46 sts.
- Row 14: P14. K5. P8. K5. P14.
- Row 15: K2tog. K11. M1. K6. yo. K8. yo. K6. M1. K11. ssk. 48 sts.
- Row 16: P14. K6. P8. K6. P14.
- Row 17: K20. yo. K8. yo. K20. 50 sts.
- Row 18: P14. K7. P8. K7. P14.
- Row 19: Slip first 3 sts onto cable needle and leave at back of work. K2tog. K3, then K3 from cable needle. K5. M1. K8. K4togtbl. K4tog. K8. M1. K5. Slip next 4 sts onto cable needle and leave at front of work. K4, then K2. ssk from cable needle. 44 sts.
- Row 20: P14. K16. P14. Rep 11th to 20th rows for pat until work from beg
- measures approx 24” ending on a 20th row of pat. Next 4 rows: Rep 11th and 12th rows twice more.
- Next 5 rows: Sl1P. Knit to end of row.
- Make Buttonholes: Next row: Sl1P. K5. *yo. K3tog. K7. Rep from * across, ending last rep with K5.
- Next row: Sl1P. K5. *(K1. P1. K1) in next yo. K7. Rep from * across, ending last rep with K5.
- Next 2 rows: Sl1P. Knit to end of row.
- Cast off.
- Sew on buttons to correspond to buttonholes
- Approx = Approximately Beg = Beginning
- K2(3)(4)tog = Knit next 2(3)(4) stitches together
- K4togtbl = Knit next 4 stitches together through back loops K = Knit
- M1 = Make 1 stitch by picking up
- horizontal strand lying before next stitch and knitting into back of loop
- P = Purl
- Pat = Pattern
- Rep = Repeat
- Sl1P = Slip next stitch purlwise
- Ssk = Slip next 2 stitches knitwise one at a time. Pass them back onto left-hand needle, then knit through back loops together
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- Tog = Together
- Yo = Yarn over
- WS = Wrong side
Cable Edged Cowl is rated out of 5 by 5.
Rated 2 out of 5 by Karen from Need Error fixes Row 19 : (at last 7 sts which should be 8 sts), I increased 1 stitch at the end when you only have 3 sts to Knit instead of 4, before knitting off the cable needle, that way the rest of the pattern does not get thrown off. They need to have an errors page for people to refer to before I would recommend this product.
Date published: 2017-01-15
Rated 2 out of 5 by Rumi from another error Buttonhole row says * yo, k3tog, k7 * across. This means 8 sts between yarnovers. Next row says * (k1,p1,k1) in each yo, k7 * across. So what to do with that 8th sts. If you k8 instead of k7 you end with 48 sts which is 4 more than the other end. I'm not liking the idea of it flaring out on one side. Are there no pattern proofreaders on staff?
Date published: 2016-11-17
Rated 4 out of 5 by Mward23 from Same error as others I've had the same problem as others with row 19. I dropped the sl1p to make it match the number of stitches in the cable on the other side. No problems so far!
Date published: 2016-11-13
Rated 3 out of 5 by Niceyluvstubing from Error on row 19 The pattern looks lovely and easy to follow except error on row 19. Slip 4 st on cable needle, K4, but there are only 3 st left. But if you knit the 3 it works out to 44 sts. I'll keep going. The only other thing my it feels a little stiff. I think I would use a larger needle if I made another one.
Date published: 2016-11-11
Rated 4 out of 5 by Rumi from Error on row 19 Near the end of row 19 the directions say: sl 1P. slip next 4 sts onto cable needle and leave at front of work. K4, then K2, ssk from cable needle. No can do. After you slip 4 sts onto the cable needle there are only 3 sts left. I assumed the pattern should have said K3 instead of K4 after the cable needle and my project is turning out fine.
Date published: 2016-11-10