Candy Cane Button Christmas Tree
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Favorite Findings: candy cane & red buttons
- 2-3/4" terra cotta pot
- Styrofoam® cone: 3"x5-7/8"
- Ribbon: 1-1/2 yds of 1-1/2" red organza
- 10"x2-1/2" strip of red/white striped fabric
- Sequin pins
- Long pearlized pins: red
- 2"x2-1/4" piece of foam
- 3" stick (3/4" diameter)
- Acrylic paint: red
- Large flat paintbrush
- Hot glue gun & glue sticks
- Paint palette
- 6" craft wire
- Serrated knife
Tips: When wrapping ribbon around cone, coverage is more important than beauty. The buttons will cover bumps or pleats. Optional for pinning buttons: add hot glue or white craft glue to pin before inserting into tree.
1. Paint outside of pot, a couple inches of inside and top red. Allow to dry.
2. Use knife to cut a piece of foam about 2" tall and about 2-1/4" wide at top. Glue into pot.
3. Use knife to cut bottom 1-1/2" off cone.
4. Glue stick into foam in pot. Glue cone onto stick, leaving about 1" of tree trunk showing.
5. Starting at bottom, wrap ribbon around cone. Pleat ribbon and pin with sequin pins as working upward. Trim ribbon at top.
6. Randomly pin buttons and glue candy canes to fill cone. To glue candy canes, press button into foam, remove, apply glue to shank and press back into foam.
7. Make a small 3" loop bow with remaining ribbon. Secure with wire. Glue or pin to top of tree. Trim ribbon ends.
8. Folding raw edges under, wrap fabric around tree trunk, covering Styrofoam® in pot. Secure with pearl pins.