Candy Corn Tote
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Canvas tote
- Dylon® Permanent Fabric Dye, Sunflower
- Dylon Permanent Fabric Dye, Goldfish Orange
- 5” Dritz® Iron-on Soft Flex Letters
- Dritz® Iron-on Flock Letters, 1” Block
- Dritz® Iron-on Flock Letters, 3/4” Cooper
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cup/spoon
- Mixing spoon
- Iron and pressing surface
- Following the instructions on the dye package, prepare your yellow dye in a large bowl, and submerge the bottom two thirds of your tote in the dye. The dye will slowly seep up, creating a gradual ombre effect. Let sit for 45 minutes.
- Remove the bag and allow the excess water and dye to drip out, then allow to dry. Dry fabric will help the ombre effect, as the liquid will seep more up into the fabric if it’s dry. So don’t skip this step.
- Following the instructions on the dye package, prepare your orange dye, and submerge the bottom third of your tote. Let sit for another 45 minutes.
- To rinse, put the tote under a faucet with the water in a constant downward flow. Do not ‘scrunch’ the fabric or allow the dyed portion to come in contact with the un-dyed portion. Hang over an old rag and drip dry.
- Following the instructions on the package, apply the Soft Flex letter first – this material requires more heat, so be sure to keep your iron in a constant motion, as not to singe the bag.
- The other letters are flock, and can be gently peeled from the backing sheet. So position your letters, and lightly press for 3-5 seconds. Do not touch the soft flex letter with your iron once it is applied. Carefully work around it.