Celebration Photo Frame
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Sculpey items:
- 10.3 oz. package UltraLight clay
- 2 oz. Premo! blocks: black, silver, gold, white
- Super Slicer
- 9"x7" Wood or paper mache frame
- White craft glue
- Paring knife
- Optional: White acrylic paint, gold curling
- Clay pasta machine, rolling pin or hand roller ribbon, gold cord, wire
- FRAME PREPARATION: Cover all areas to be decorated with a thin layer of white craft glue. Let dry. Condition and roll out the Sculpey UltraLight (UL) to a 1/8" thick sheet. Cover the entire front side of the frame with this sheet of UL. Bake the frame at 275° for 30 minutes. Work on the cane as the frame bakes.
- JELLY ROLL CANE: Roll 2 oz. of White Premo! through the pasta machine on the thickest setting and then fold the sheet in half doubling the thickness to about 3/16" thick. The white sheet should be at least 3"x4". Roll 1/2 block of Black Premo! through the pasta machine on the thickest setting, but do not double the sheet. Trim the edges of the black so it's about 3"x4". Lay the white on top of the black and gently press them together. From the scraps of black, make a little rope. Lay the rope on one edge of the white and black sheet so the cane can be rolled up around this center rope. Roll up the clay in jelly roll fashion. Gently reduce the cane to 3/4" in diameter by rolling it between your hand and the work surface.
- ADD THE STRIPES: Roll 1/2 block each of White, Black, Silver, and Gold Premo into long ropes. Make these ropes at least 3 times longer than the jelly roll cane. Border the jelly roll with the ropes repeating the color pattern all the way around the cane. Gently roll the cane until the ropes are smooth. Reduce the cane again until it is 3/4" in diameter. Slice off a 3" section of cane. Reduce this section until it is 3/8" in diameter.
- DECORATE THE FRAME: Use the Sculpey Super Slicer to slice off even pieces of canes. Lay the cane slices on the frame, covering the entire frame as best as possible. With the hand roller, roll over the cane slices. This will make them flatter and help fill in the spaces in between.
- RIBBONS: Roll out very thin sheets of the remaining Silver, Gold, and White. Cut strips of Silver about 1/4" wide. Press these strips on top of the white sheet leaving 1/4" space between strips. Cut out along the Silver leaving 1/16" of the White showing on either side. Run the 2-tone strips through the pasta machine to flatten. Then layer these strips on top of the Gold and trim on both sides so there is 1/16" of Gold showing on both sides. Flatten through the pasta machine again. Use whatever Black scraps that you have to make really skinny ropes. Lay these ropes down the middle of the Silver stripes and flatten. Twist and curl the ribbons, then add them to the frame. Add extra thick slices from the jelly roll cane to the frame. Add gold curling ribbon or gold cord and wire for extra embellishment.