Cheerful Garden Characters
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Fimo oven-hardening clay blocks: Create a whole garden of critters with 4 to 5 colors.
- Conventional or toaster oven
- Clay blade or craft knife
- Flat baking tray
- Smooth work surface: granite, marble, glass, or glazed ceramic tile
- Optional: water-based gloss varnish & paintbrush
Fimo clays are marked in 8 equal sections on the back of the block for easy measuring. Refer to photos in pdf.
- One 2" flower requires 3 sections of clay. Cut each of the 3 sections in half for 6 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball; taper one end to form a cone (Photo 1).
- Make an finger indentation in the fat end of the cone to form a petal (Photo 2).
- With a contrasting color, form a 1/2" ball for the center of the flower (Photo 3).
- Attach the ball in the center of the petals (Photo 4).
- Use tooth pick to draw an expressive face & accent the petals. Add a tiny ball nose (Photo 5).
- To craft the snail shell, roll & twist 2 colors together (Photo 6). Connect an oval shape for the head & a 1/2"-thick log for the body. Taper one end of the log to form the pointed tail. Make antennae from 1/2" logs with a ball-shaped end. Poke holes in the head to position the antennae. Draw a mouth with the toothpick. Roll tiny balls for the eyes & nose; attach to the head.
- To sculpt a caterpillar, roll & attach 7 balls of equal size. Choose a different color for the head. To make dots, roll out a log 1/8" thick. Cut 1/16" slices. Roll each section into a ball; smash gently with fingertip. Attach to the body. Use toothpick to draw an expressive face. Roll a small log; cut sections for antennae. Poke 2 holes in the top of the head to position the antennae. Roll a small ball for the nose & attach.
- Bake 30 minutes at 230° F. Allow items to cool before removing from the tray. Option: Coat figures with water-based gloss varnish. Allow to dry.