Size: 20" x 20"
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
• Creating New Traditions Fabrics by Fabric Traditions:
o 5/8 yd. turquoise zigzag stripe for backing
o 1/2 yd. small gray print for cording
o 1/8 yd. each aqua dot large turquoise/violet floral, medium turquoise floral, small turquoise textured floral, small aqua print, gray dot, grey stars and gray textured floral
o • 3/8 yd. white on white print
• 21" by 21"square backing fabric
• 2 1/4 yds. narrow cotton cording
• 21" by 21" piece quilt batting
• 20" pillow insert
• Quilting thread (optional)
• Sewing Machine
• Iron and pressing surface
• Basic sewing supplies
• Rotary cutter, Mat, and Ruler (optional)
1. Follow steps 2 through 5 to cut out the pieces.
2. From white fabric, cut eighteen 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" squares. Cut each square in half diagonally to make triangles.
3. From each aqua, turquoise and gray print fabric except the zigzag stripe, cut two 4 1/4" by 4 1/4" squares. Cut each square in half diagonally to make triangles.
4. Cut a 20 1/2" x 20 1/2" square from the zigzag stripe fabric.
5. Cut three bias strips from the small gray print fabric that are wide enough to go around cording plus 1/2" seam allowance on each edge.
6. Follow steps 7 through 17 to make the pillow. Stitch all seam right sides together unless otherwise indicated.
7. Stitch each white triangle to a print triangle. Make 24 squares using aqua turquoise print fabrics. Make 12 squares using the gray prints.
8. Arrange the squares in six rows of six squares each making 3 zigzags across the pillow top. Stitch the squares in each row together.
9. Stitch the rows together matching the seams.
10. Place the batting between the patchwork top and the backing fabric. Baste the layers together 1/4" from the edge of the patchwork.
11. Stitch "in the ditch" along the vertical seams of the patchwork. Quilt 1/4" from the diagonal seams on the white triangles from one side to the other. Quilt along the center of the white zigzag. Then quilt along the center of the turquoise and gray zigzags.
12. Trim the batting and backing adding 1/4" around the patchwork top.
13. Stitch the bias strips together on the straight grain using 1/4" seam allowance. Press seams open.
14. Fold the bias strip in half lengthwise right side out. Insert cording along fold. Baste along edge of cording using zipper foot.
15. Pin cording to pillow top around outer edge matching the raw edges. Clip cording at corners to turn cording. Beginning 2" from beginning of cording, stitch just inside the basting stitches 1/2" from the raw edges ending stitching 2" from the beginning.
16. Pull some basting stitches at end of cording. Trim cording so edges meet. Turn under end of fabric on cording and slip it under beginning of cording. Stitch along the seamline to hold the joined ends in place.
17. Right sides together, stitch pillow front to back using 1/2" seam allowance, leaving opening on one edge. Turn pillow right side out. Place insert in pillow. Turn seam allowance to inside and slipstitch edges of opening closed.